Private IC2 instance - what happens if a connected device is factory reset?

Evening Guys
So if we have a private IC2 server set up, what happens if a device is reset? Do the private IC2 server details on the device get wiped too or are the retained through a factory reset?
Thank You

Hi @SamuelNorris,

Yes, the settings on the device are wiped. However, if you have a group on “Public” IC2 with redirection in place for the S/N it will then appear on your Private InControl. This works even if the warranty has expired, but only when the device is rebooted.

If the device is still in warranty, you could add it to your Public InControl, connect via Remote Web Admin and enter your Private InControl details.

Hope this helps.

Steve

2 Likes

Hi Steve
Thanks for the info.
So best practice is to have the serves entered into each device but you could just use the redirection or is this just as a backstop to retain access after a factory reset?
Does this mean that all the traffic would be passed through the public IC2 server or does the device then form its connection directly to the private IC2 server?
Another question, is it possible to migrate data from the public IC2 server to a private IC2 server?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @SamuelNorris

You are most welcome.

My previous company used private InControl and I created a group on their Public IC2 to redirect devices, in the event that a customer did factory reset the devices. As you say, just a back-stop to ensure they re-appeared on the Private InControl. I also setup notifications on the Private InControl group(s) in the event of a configuration change - so that we would know the customer had made changes (since they had no login details, this usually meant a factory reset).

The traffic doesn’t pass-through public IC2, if the InControl settings aren’t on the device, when it boots up it checks with Public IC2 to see if there are any settings that need to be appied - it “sees” the redirection command and then appears on your Private InControl. No data / information is stored on the public IC - I don’t beleive that even the redirect “event” is registered on the Public IC - but it has been a while.

Data can’t be migrated from the Public IC2 server to your private IC2 server, sorry.

Please let me know if you need me to clarify any of the above.

Thanks,

Steve

2 Likes