Prioritize TCP ACK?

We have a Balance One. When we upload something, that causes all other Internet activity to come to a crawl. I believe by prioritizing TCP ACKs we can fix this. Is there any way to do this?

Hi,

Please set correct upload and download bandwidth in Network-WAN page and enable “DSL/Cable Optimization” (under Network- QoS-Application).

1 Like

I have my upload/download parameters set correctly, and Optimization enabled, but this does not seem to have any affect.

As with the original poster, saturation of the upstream channel kills all of the downstream traffic. This seems to be worse now that it has ever been, but I have no numbers to back up that statement.

I don’t think ACK prioritization is working well.

Regards

Steve

Please help to submit ticket for us to take closer look. Please attention the ticket to me.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

Can we have a technical description of what changes in terms of the Peplink PHB when “DSL/Cable Optimization” is selected/deselected?
And does the behavior change of “DSL/Cable Optimization” vary with regard to other configuration options on the Peplink?

Thanks,
Dana

Hi.

When DSL/Cable Optimization is enabled, outgoing TCP ACK has highest priority when uplink is congested.
This require correct upload and download bandwidth set in WAN.

2 Likes

My experience with DSL/Cable Optimization is that it does not work at all. It has worked in the past, but broke sometime around Firmware release 7.

I can bring download activity to a halt by flooding the upload. (I have the correct download/upload bandwidth set in the WAN settings).

I would welcome other comments on this. Have you seen this behaviour. It appears to be worse on very low bandwidth sites.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Kenny,

What about TCP SYN, and TCP SYN-ACK ? Are they also prioritised?

Lastly, does this feature work for sessions “inside” the PepVPN?

Regards,

Dana

Hi Dana,

TCP SYN and SYN-ACK are also prioritized.

1 Like