Pre sales : outbound question & redundant power

hi all,

I have not bought any units yet… still trying to wrap my mind around the outbound load balancing.

Again my plan is for a small data center… mainly doing backup services/file sync

my ISP are only offering 200Mb/20Mb connections, unless i go fiber which is VERY VERY VERY expensive… a 100Mb/100Mb connection on fiber is around 12k USD a month and for a start up we cant afford that :frowning:

So from 2 of the islands isp i am looking at getting 2 connections from each … so i will have 4 200Mb/20Mb connections… the downstreams are not my big problem… is the upstreams… we are looking to have 500 to 1000 users an the end of 1 year…

our application uses ssl … so i am wondering how exactly would outbound load balancing (return traffic to original requester) work… for example if we have 30 users who are doing some kinda of data restore/download at the same time… how would the peplink box utilize all the 4 20Mb upstreams ? remember these 30 users are offsite… non of these users will have peplink boxes…

Also how come only the 2500 unit has redundant power ?? this means i am going to have to buy 2 710 models to have some basic level of HA…

Hi Trinimoses,

Do consider the traffics flows below:

1. LAN –> WAN (Outbound load balancing)
  2. WAN –> LAN (Inbound load Balancing)

Base on the description given, i believe you are referring more on inbound load balancing (2) when users accessing to your hosted webserver (HTTPS), thus this is nothing related to the outbound load balancing.

When user initiate web access (HTTPS) connection to the server hosted at the LAN (WAN –> LAN). Inbound loadbalance (DNS server) will respond to the DNS queries on which WAN IP should be use by users when browsing to the web server (HTTPS) and the same connection will retain using the same WAN when accessing to the web server (Upload or Download).

End up if the priority for the DNS A record are the same, thus you will see the HTTPS connections will be load balanced

For more information regarding to Inbound Load balancing work, please refer to the URL below:

http://www.peplink.com/knowledgebase/understanding-inbound-load-balancing/

Thank You