Port Forwarding on Peplink Max BR1 Mini

Hi guys, I operate a business where I provide wifi on buses and in remote locations. I am in the process of acquiring a contract from a security company. They have many remote locations in which they would want to access their IP cameras while they are at their office. We currently use the Max Br1 Mini to provide our service. My knowledge regarding port forwarding is basic however, I understand that this is necessary to achieve my end result. Is there a list of instructions available that I can follow in a stepwise manner to allow this client to view images from their IP camera while they are at their head office?

We provide this type of remote connectivity service too for a number of CCTV providers. In our use cases, the remote cameras tend to record locally (to SD or to a NVR) and the CCTV companies want to have remote access for support cases, availability monitoring and the ability to occasionally watch live and pull down recorded video.

Cellular SIMs with fixed publicly accessible IPs are a very bad idea (in general) and cost much more than dynamic NAT IP SIMs. We use PepVPN instead and cloud hosted FusionHub with BR1s at the remote sites to provide a secure routed network between the sites with the cameras.

I would suggest you consider that approach also.

2 Likes

May I add just a few words to what @MartinLangmaid said? I agree 100% with his comments would just add that I’d be very careful of following “manufacturers’ instructions” vis-a-vis port forwarding. For ease of use and to minimize tech support calls, generally users are advised to forward ports from the WAN/internet to the NVR. With Peplink products, PepVPN and Speed Fusion are your friends. If that doesn’t work for you L2TP is built-in to Peplink routers and one can “tunnel in” as needed. Regardless, I would not expose any ports to the internet (i.e., potential bad guyz) unless there was a compelling need and there was not much of an alternative. Reduce the “attack vectors” to the maximum extent possible.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, you hit the nail on the head bro.

Golden advice, especially since we are dealing with sensitive information.