Point to Point connection on same subnet

Our company has 2 point to point connections (basically an ethernet trunk passing all traffic) with separate ISP’s between 2 locations in the same town. Both locations are are the same VLANS (currently VLAN1, 105 and 106. Currently we have one connection between a switch at each location that is trunked and if we have to fail over to the other ISP, we have to manually swap the switch connection at both locations to the other ISP. Ideally we would like a device that will both aggregate and provide failover automatically and I’m curious if the Peplink product can perform this function. If so, how is the device set up to accomplish this being that both sites are on the same subnets?

Peplink supports a Layer 2 VPN (PepVPN or SpeedFusion with bonding) to accomplish this so you can have an “unbreakable” VPN.

1 Like

Could you tell me how this is setup using the Balance 20?

Here is a link from our knowledgebase that should help.

1 Like

I did see that link Ron - thank you, however I’m not seeing how to configure the 2 separate ISP connections on each device. Is there another article showing how to combine/bridge separate ports in Layer 2? Also is this capable on a Balance 20 or would I have to go to the 210?

If the ISPs are providing an Ethernet connection, the Balance WANs just need a path between them to build the VPN. The LAN at the main location would be bridged to the other site once the VPN is established. The Balance 210 and above models are needed to support SpeedFusion bonding however.

1 Like

So the Balance 30 Pro doesn’t offer that as an upgrade?

So the Balance 30 Pro doesn’t offer that as an upgrade?