Phone Port Setup

I’ve recently come into a peplink based network and have a question about the setup for port setup. I come from a Cisco background so i’m used to seeing a data vlan and a voip vlan on an access port.

with the peplink setup i’ve acquired, all ports are set to trunk ports and the default data is set to untagged. The voip vlan is setup but i’m trying to understand why a port would be set to trunk when a phone and computer are plugged into it. That contradicts what I’ve done in the past with other products. Trunk was strictly for a switch/switch connection or router/switch connection.

Any help or documentation would be much appreciated. Thanks!

for access switches we are using SD Switch (HW1)

In Peplink’s world a port can be assigned as an Access port for a VLAN (so traffic in and out of that port is untagged for that VLAN) or as a trunk port (so traffic in and out is tagged).

In Firmware 7.10 and earlier, a port set as Trunk would present the default LAN (typically the DATA VLAN) as untagged and any other VLANs as tagged.

Looking at the latest Firmware (v7.1.1) it seems that you can now choose which VLANs are tagged when you set the port to Trunk.

eg:

1 Like