Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini LTEA slow speed over wifi as wan

Hello, I am testing a new Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini LTEA. I have the WIFI-WAN wireless WAN connection connected to my EERO home network. When I look in Status/SpeedFusion PepVPN Details, it shows me the bandwidth limit is 200 Mbps down and 200 Mbps up. This matches what my ISP provides.

When I run the PepVPN Test Configuration, it reports an average speed of 9.2 Mbps. I don’t expect to get the full 200 MBps due to the 2.4GHz antenna, but I would expect to get close to 100Mbps.

Has anyone solved this issue?

Apologies if this is a duplicate. I did a search and did not find a post/answer.

I noticed this when hooking up to the Starlink (via WiFi as a WAN). When I was directly connected to the Starlink router, I was pulling 100Mbps+, but when I was connected through the peplink, I was only getting about 30Mbps. I didn’t think anything of it, and planned to re-test when I can get back to that office to hook it up via ethernet instead.

The MAX BR1 Mini has 802.11n capability using 1 spatial stream on 2.4GHz. For reference:

The chart shows the maximum PHY data rates that can be achieved and because of the inherent overhead protocols built-in to the WiFi standard the real-world speed is generally around 40-45% of the PHY data rate that it connects at.

1 Like

@AskTim Thanks for this info. This makes me wonder why the PHY rate between my computer and the Pepwave is 65 Mbps. When I connect my computer directly to the WiFi network (bypassing the Pepwave), the PHY rate is 886 Mbps.

It is because your computer and home Wi-Fi network are talking to each other using 802.11ac with 2x2 MiMo. The BR1 Mini has 802.11n with a single stream so 65Mbps is normal.

Thanks so much. I’m Hattie know everything is configured correctly. I’ll just use it for a while and see if I’m able to do everything I need to.