Pepwave Br1 Mini NAT Type [Video Tutorial Added]

Hey all, I have the Br1 mini with an AT&T sim card in it and it’s working great. However, when I attempt to play Smash online in my switch, the NAT Type is D, which is too strict for online play. I have only a password on it, no specific firewall rules, and no other added security I am aware of. Does anyone know how i could get the network to function with a less strict NAT type?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
Its not the NAT on the router that’s too strict, it’s AT&T’s NAT carrier grade NAT router that’s messing with you.

The fix is a free FusionHub Solo virtual appliance hosted on Vultr for $5/month and you send all your traffic via the Fusionhub to bypass the AT&T CGNAT.

1 Like

Will that create any ping/latency increase? If you’ve ever played smash you know a .25 second input delay is deadly lol

Yes, extra latency of a couple of ms i would think.

1 Like

Like a literal just a couple, from 50 to 54 or like 50 to 90? I just wanna be sure before I drop money on something, ya know?

Yes just a couple (its less than 1ms difference for me on fiber internet to route my traffic either direct or via a Fusionhub).

Most of your latency you’re seeing now is between you and the AT&T radio network before it hands off to the internet. Hosting companies keep their servers on low latency internet backbones. You might even see a small latency reduction if you’re lucky.

The only caveat is you want to host a VM as physically / geographically close to you as possible.

If you can use Vultr is $5/month cancel any time so low risk financially.

1 Like

I’m seeing lots of 3/5 reviews for vultr, does it work similar to a VPN like Nord?

Used them for 4years+ with very little issue and like them.

No not like nord vpn. Instead you’re hosting a virtual machine with them, then redirecting your traffic through that virtual machine to bypass the AT&T NAT.

1 Like

Well, dumb question time then, how exactly would I get Vultr to work in the way you’re talking about with the pepwave?

No such thing as a dumb question as far as I’m concerned.

The process is as follows:

1. Install Fusionhub virtual appliance on Vultr and license it with a free FusionHub Solo license
  2. create a PepVPN between your BR1 Mini and the FusionHub
  3. Create an outbound policy that forwards all traffic from your LAN over the PepVPN

I really ought to put together a tutorial on this. Let me see if I can do that.

3 Likes

Did ya get a tutorial made yet? I’m afraid I might screw it up

Just finished it. Here you go: How to Install and use Peplink FusionHub On Vultr on Vimeo

4 Likes