PepVPN and netbois routing

Hello,

So I’m testing PEPVPN for a client. He has a Balance 305 (newest firmware) at his main office currently on 192.168.1.0 net, I have a Balance 30 at my office again with newest firmware I was on the same net couldn’t get PEPVPN to establish… I did some reading and I switched my network to 192.168.0.0 and it establishes… Yay!.

So I tried to connect to his file server via netbios name, couldn’t find it, try to ping via netbios name, couldn’t find host. I can ping/map via IP address.

In my Balance 30, under DNSproxy in local DNS records I did put in the netbios names for hostname and their matching IP address, no change (I’m not using the FQDN though)

I found this thread: Peplink | Pepwave - Forum I tried it, no change

For the fun of it on my Balance 30 i told mine DHCP to issue the remote AD DNS server (192.168.1.6) as DNS for my network, still doesn’t work. before doing the changes in the thread above and doing the DNS switch I could do a ‘nslookup rdpserv’ and it would show me the netbios name and IP address correctly, but after the changes I get couldn’t find server error.

There are no additional firewalls on either side, it’s a simple peer to peer pepvpn. Once tested and working I will be using another Balance 305 from his 2nd office to pepvpn into his main office, and the workstations at the remote office will need to access the AD servers and printers via netbios.

Any ideas? Thanks

You need to use FQDN for the local DNS records.

I found this thread: Peplink | Pepwave - Forum I tried it, no change
For the fun of it on my Balance 30 i told mine DHCP to issue the remote AD DNS server (192.168.1.6) as DNS for my network, still doesn’t work. before doing the changes in the thread above and doing the DNS switch I could do a ‘nslookup rdpserv’ and it would show me the netbios name and IP address correctly, but after the changes I get couldn’t find server error.

This is more on the DNS request from the client PC to the remote DNS server. We need to further diagnose it from the device in-order to give you the proper suggestion. Please open a support ticket here and we will further diagnose the issue from the device.

Thank You

Would this still be the case even with the FQDN be name.domain.local? They do have a proper .net FQDN, but the Balance 305 manages that DNS for the incoming load balancing/fail over. And I don’t want to put server names in there if I can avoid it.

Are you thinking the PEPVPN isn’t transferring the DNS traffic properly? Now for the “local DNS records” should those be in the remote Balance, or in the Main office Balance?

This is nothing related to the incoming load balancing/fail over for the B305.

The “local DNS records” support “x.y” format thus you need to make sure the records inserted follow the correct format.

This is not related to the PEPVPN. Assuming you have the following setup:

Server.local (192.168.1.2) –> HQ (B305) <– PepVPN – Internet –> Balance 30 <— Remote Client PC (192.168.0.2)

You should insert the “local DNS records” at the Balance 30 (DNS server for the remote client PC - LAN IP for B30) .

Local DNS records:
server.local 192.168.1.2

Remote Client PC should able to resolve server.local as 192.168.1.2

Thank You

I’ve got the 2nd Balance305 up, I tried what is suggested above and it still doesn’t work. I can still ping IP, but I can’t ping the name, either server or server.local.

What about reaching workstations that don’t have a station.local name By NetBIOS?

I can’t go the reverse way either… so from the main office I can’t reach work stations by NetBIOS name either.

At the new “office” with the new 305 if I uses the hosts file I can do a work around, but I would much rather not have to do that.

Hi,

Please open a support ticket here. We need to further check on the devices configuration & the DNS request flow.

Thank you
Regards,
Sit Loong