Peplink SURF SOHO WiFi Analyzer

One of the reasons we deploy SURF SOHO routers to all of our customers is because of the WiFi WAN feature. We don’t utilize the WiFi WAN feature as a way to provide connectivity to the router but to be able to remotely scan to look for devices that could be broadcasting in customer’s home that could be causing interference issues on the WiFi. It would be nice if there was a way to use these features as more of a WiFi analyzer so that we could remotely locate devices that are broadcasting without an SSID such as Sonos speakers or Roku remotes. This would speed up troubleshooting customer problems along with avoiding having to send a tech onsite.

2 Likes

Hi DSWilson,

Thanks for your suggestion.
What do you expect from “WiFi Anaylzer” feature so that it can be helpful for remote troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Lewis

1 Like

If we could see networks that aren’t broadcasting as SSID along with the channel width that would be a big help.

1 Like

Hi DSWilson,

Thanks for your input.
I think you want a feature that user can input specific SSIDs and corresponding BSSIDs on Soho, and Soho can show whether they are broadcasting in the environment. Beside status, it would be helpful to have event log to show when did they disappear/reappear.

Do I understand it correctly?

Thanks,
Lewis

1 Like

Hey Lewis

Not so much input but be able to view. For example below is a screenshot of the WiFi WAN of one of my customers. If we were able to see any hidden SSIDs that could be broadcasting along with the channel width 10/20/30 Mhz etc in addition to the information that is already provided. That would give us more info on being able to more effectively remotely troubleshoot. Also having that information logged in the event log, that would be even better.

Hi DSWilson,

Noted, thanks for your suggestion.
We will consider to utilize our MAX Wi-Fi radios for spectrum scanning when they are not working in WiFi WAN or AP mode in future.

Thanks,
Lewis

4 Likes