Peplink support states that basic failovers are expected to take 25 seconds onto a connection which is in an active standby state (yellow in dashboard), connected to an IP address, and is passing smarthealth checks. It is also supposed to regularly take 5-20+ minutes for a modem to connect to a tower. Is this true?

I was told that this was expected behavior on my Max Transit Duo. Here’s a screenshot of a theoretical scenario:

I wish to speedtest the VZN connection, so drop ATT from priority 1 to 3. The VZN connection will now take around half a minute to become active. Prior to whatever happened to my Max Transit Duo with firmware 8.20 a “basic failover” onto a connection in “active standby” would occur within a second or so. Tunneled connections would break, but would usually reconnect and there would be very little noticeable change for casual use (non VOIP calls). I never had to wait half a minute to run a speed test.

Secondarily, it never regularly took 5-20+ minutes to connect to a tower either when starting up or on a modem reset, sometimes requiring a modem to be disabled and then re-enabled, or the entire device restarted. I was also told that this was expected behavior and it takes time to connect to towers. This has happened in three different states recently, so it’s not just a bad single tower nearby.

The recommended solution was to never take any connection out of priority 1.

Just a quick check with a Duo and a wall clock (so nothing particularly precise, time-wise):

Set-up:

• Transit Duo CAT-12, VZW and TMO respectively for the radios
  • Connections provided by CA using two bands for each of the radios.

Procedure:

• Move one (VZW) into priority 2 (they ordinarily are both priority 1)
  • Observe: TMO Is connected (and doing well), VZW is in connected stand-by.
  • Disable TMO by selecting “always off” on its schedule.
  • Observe: TMO drops the connection, and VZW starts transmitting.
  • Observe: Delay from TMO disconnecting to VZW starts shipping packets: Roughly one second.

This does not mimic a real loss of cellular connectivity (since it would take some time for the router to discover that a connection was down, e.g. presumably depending on the smart check interval).

It does seem to indicate how swiftly the failover to the lower-priority cellular connection may happen: within a second or so.

Moving the TMO connection from totally disabled to priority 1 had the connection up within 20 seconds.

In our particular neck of the woods (the Sierra Nevada mountains of California) and with our particular towers and (lack of) traffic congestion, the numbers were pretty good.

As usual: FWIW.

Cheers,

Z

2 Likes

Yeah, roughly one second is what I had before when switching priority between an active connection and one on active standby. I definitely didn’t have to wait half a minute to run a speed test each time I changed priority on something…

I brought up the 25 second time for a carrier on active standby to start sending data as an example of the router’s general unresponsiveness as I had the event log handy for timestamps. 20 seconds sounds about right moving from disabled to active. It can take 5 minutes to infinity now (requiring a router reset) for a modem to switch SIMs or just connect in the first place… which would happen maybe every few months before due to some glitch or bad tower, but now it’s pretty much daily.

Small world, I’m along 395 now myself. TMO isn’t great here, but ATT & VZN have been holding up well!