Peplink Balance - Pre sales question: ADLS & Satellite balancing

Hi,

I have a Satellite connection - ‘fat’ pipe (5-15 Mbps) with high latency ~ 1 second and an ADSL connection (3.5Mbps) with low latency. In my mind, I can conjure up some fantastic balancing algorithm (without any knowledge, which is why it’s a fantasy) where the low latency of the ADSL is combined with the fat pipe of the satellite - so I can still browse a responsive web, but when I use Netflix or Youtube, I can benefit from from the fatter satellite pipe.

Having read stuff in here and the info available on the website, I have reached the conclusion that I can force particular services or destinations (such as Netflix) to use a specific WAN, but other than that, my best option is to use the satellite as an overflow for the DSL. I have an entry level router from TPLink where I can only implement a failover to satellite as their load balancing is based on bandwidth alone which ignores latency and doesn’t have features like overflow. I notice that Peplink 20s don’t benefit from latency routing either, but I think I can do without it so long as I can do as described with overflow and specific destination routing.

Have I missed something, or is that the best I can do really?

Thanks in advance

John

Hello,

You can use any of our 7 load balancing algorithms in the Balance 20:

What you say does seem to be in direct contrast to what is said here http://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/ where it specifically states that ‘Least used’ and ‘Lowest Latency’ are not available on the Balance 20/30/50. Which is it?

And in any case, which of those algos are particularly helpful in the case I have specified?

Thanks

Hello,

You will be able to utilize all 7 algorithms on 6.2 firmware, which we have RC (Release Candidate) version available.

In your use case the Overflow algorithm will work if ADSL is primary connection. You can also create additional rules using the enforced/priority algorithm to force certain traffic over Satellite as well.

NOTE: That the rules take precedence from top to bottom in the outbound policy rule list. So you will want the Overflow algorithm at the bottom and the more defined rules above it.