Peplink Balance 380 and DDWRT Router + AP One Mini

Hi,

I am trying to add a DDWRT Flashed Router to my existing network which consists of the Balance 380 plus an ap one mini. I had to APs before but the other one failed.

Here’s the setup:

2 WAN → Balance 380 → DDWRT Router/AP One AC mini → Clients
AP One Mini is working fine and I just want to add the DDWRT Router as a repeater/bridge since some of the client’s connecting to the AP One are constantly getting disconnected.

DDWRT Router has already been setup. Clients are able to connect to it but intermittently the connection drops plus the IP addresses the clients are acquiring is not the same as what we have on the static pool.

We need to setup the DDWRT Router until we purchase another AP One mini which is a difficult task to do here in our location.

Uuuuugh. OK, I’ll jump in on this. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: But, this one is difficult. Here’s why:

1. As has been discussed here (and elsewhere) a zillion [+/- :sunglasses:)] times, wireless repeaters/bridges are problematic. On our end, we’ve resolved never to implement one again – they’re about the worst of all potential solutions (as you may have discovered). The cost (manpower, frustration, throughput, reliability, etc) to kludge up such a solution is hugely greater than the very nominal cost of a replacement Peplink/Pepwave AP.

2. There are many, many Peplink dealers in the world. I don’t know where you are where you are not able to obtain a Peplink product, but if a commercial carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc), government mail service (USPS, Canada Post, etc), or private carrier (friend, fellow-traveler, camel driver, etc) can deliver to you, you can have a replacement Peplink device – and it can happen rather quickly. There are a great number of highly capable and competent Peplink dealers and distributors who participate in these forums (some just watch silently … :smiley:) who could and would help you if asked directly (e.g., “I am located in xxxx and I need a yyyy …”.) If these folks did not want to help others they would not be here! Actually, you can even buy a “Mini” from Amazon from credible dealers!

DDWRT is good stuff. But not for this purpose. I know that’s not what you anted to hear. The B380 is a superior router and the “mini” is an excellent, cost-effective AP. Respectful suggestion: Just get another AP and be done with it. [See? I told you you would not want to hear this …! :sunglasses: ]

1 Like

Thanks for your insight. I got it to work though and it has been stable for some time now but you are right about purchasing another AP. I am in the Philippines and it is very hard to purchase such devices locally if you are only purchasing one or two items. Perhaps it’s too much of a hassle for them for such small profit. Thanks again and we can close this now.

Hi Rick.

Perhaps you can give me some advice.
I am in the Philippines.
I am looking for the best dual wan router that will also function as a good VPN router.
Do you think the Peplink Balance One is a good choice?
Does the peplink balance one incorporate DD-WRT or can it be flashed or is DD-WRT not really necessary. I noticed that the pepline balance one has some sort of VPN built in already.
I apologize if any of my questions are annoying.
Regards,
Frank

Hi Frank. There are dozens of folks who inhabit the forum here who have greater experience than do I/we, but I’ll try to help …

If you are looking for a dual WAN router that you’d use from inside a structure (home, office, etc) you’re probably looking at the Balance series. See https://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/ . Without knowing more of your application it’d be difficult to suggest which one. However, I’ll say that the Balance One is excellent. We have had good luck with them and they are markedly more responsive than the Balance 20 (although they come in a plastic case and are not rack mountable, sadly).

Peplink routers come with Peplink firmware – which is well done and is under continuous development. DD-WRT is great as a “repair/improvement” for certain other routers but has no need/place whatever with Peplink products.

Peplink routers include PepVPN which, in our view, is a superior means of “connecting” routers together (L2 or L3, as you wish). OpenVPN is not supported but there has been a g-r-e-a-t demand for this capability and I’d not be surprised if we see it eventually. However, Balance routers work very well with L2TP so one can easily tunnel-in via computer, hand-held device, etc.

I’d suggest trying to find a competent Peplink retailer or “Partner” in Peplink’s nomenclature, although most partners cannot be found on Peplink’s web site. (Actually, almost none can, including ourselves.)

And, no, your questions are certainly not annoying. However, maybe others will have thoughts different about them than mine.

1 Like

Hello @frankmaui,
To add on to what @Rick-DC has noted, we have a post here about the Balance ONE and how well it works for our place

I spoke with some of the the Peplink team from the Philippines at last yeas Peplink Summit in Hong Kong and I’m sure they will welcome a call from you, you can find them on the Peplink website under Certified Peplink Partner.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Marcus

Sounds like the Balance One is the way to go.

I will reach out to the Philippine Peplink team.

Thanks for the advice and connections.

Frank

1 Like

Rick,

I appreciate your insight, guidance and links.

I plan to go with the Balance One.

Regards,

Frank

2 Likes