Outbound Policy Rule using Domain Name cuts bandwidth in half

Thanks, that makes sense. I disabled QoS for my wifi calling and that seemed to help quite a bit. I will do some further testing when I have a chance.

Will do. Please note that there seem to be several issues (possibly related?). My issue is with Outbound Policy rules, but other people are reporting issues with QoS settings (which I haven’t seen myself). We may need more than one ticket.

Note that I’m seeing the slowdown even with the rule disabled which doesn’t make much sense, and suggests some other kind of bug.

@soylentgreen

Thank you for the reporting the potential issue that “Domain Name policy cuts bandwidth in half”.

Engineering team is investigating on this and i will update again when getting the latest info from Engineering team.

3 Likes

Confirmed this is a known issue for firmware 8.1.0. Detail info please refer to the firmware released notes.

1 Like

Thanks. Any idea when a fix will be available?

1 Like

When testing this please note that the behavior is weird:

• the slowdown is evident even if the rule is disabled

In my testing, simply having the rule at all (disabled or enabled) is enough to trigger the slowdown .

1 Like

Having this issue as well… since upgrading to 8.1 to use the UDP port forwarding, my CPU load is constantly at 100% and my WAN speed is down drastically.

To give an example… I went from an ASUS RT-AC66U (minimal config, admittedly) and my speeds were 300Mbps (which is what I am paying for from ISP).

Then I swapped to my Pepwave SOHO and I am at 60Mbps max.

I do have a lot of firewall rules, event logging, and other things known to shew up CPU, but I turned all those off for testing and the CPU usage is still at 100%.

@soylentgreen

This is a known issue that mentioned (Listed in the released notes). For temporary workaround, please remove the domain outbound policy and reboot the device to clear all the state before you test again the performance.

@mamc

Surf SOHO MK3 only rated as 120Mbps router throughput, this can become a bottleneck for the network, would you consider Balance One instead ? Make sure you check the product feature before you consider the model.

1 Like

Part of the problem is most of my firewall rules are domain-based. I have many IoT devices and they all use AWS IP ranges. One of the devices connects to an AWS service which, if I could not use a domain-based policy, would have 100 different subnets (and those were ones I went through the trouble of summarizing myself). Rather than have extremely complex rules, I figured it would be more efficient to take advantage of the domain option. But yes in the mean time I suppose I could just permit all outbound traffic from my IoT vlan…

Regarding the Balance One… would I be able to restore a Soho config to it? Or at least is there some way to export firewall rules, dns records, dhcp reservations and grouped networks? That has been my biggest hesitation is reconfiguring a new device from scratch.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

@mamc, Balance One and SOHO are different platform. You can’t restore the SOHO 's config into Balance One.

Since you mentioned you are having domain firewall rules. Can I confirm maximum 120Mbps (SOHO maximum throughput) is acceptable if changing hardware is not your option? We are preparing a special firmware to fix the known issue.

1 Like

Yes, 120Mpbs is acceptable! It would greatly benefit to get back and running as it was before. Thank you so much. I eagerly await the fix.

My B380 is running 8.1 with multiple outbound rules based on domain name. I don’t see any speed problems. Right now the CPU is at 7%. Apparently the issue does not affect all models.

On my Balance One, with 8.1, and domain-name outbound policy rules in place, the bandwidth is cut drastically, but I do not see a high CPU usage when this happens (which is odd, suggesting it’s not just a simple CPU overload at play. Hoping they can fix this in 8.1.1 or whatever :slight_smile:

Dear all, the reported problem will be fixed in 8.1.1. You may upgrade to the firmware below if this is urgent.

Balance One - https://download.peplink.com/firmware/plb1/fw-b1_210hw4_310hw4_br1ent_transit_m700hw3_hd2mini_hd4-8.1.0s031-build4959.bin

BR1 MK2/ SOHO MK3 - https://download.peplink.com/firmware/br1ac/fw-max_br1mk2_hotspot_sohomk3-8.1.0s031-build4949.bin

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I will update it tonight and see how it goes

So I upgraded, at least I thought so, but my Pepwave reports the firmware is still at build 4949.

But my CPU is now back down to a normal range… so the bug is clearly fixed…

Should my build really be reporting as 4916 though? Or is that a bug/glitch?

If the firmware build number shows 4949, then it is expected. Please refer to the screenshot below.

1 Like

Hello @TK_Liew,
We have today attempted to deploy firmware version 8.1.0s031 out to several Pepwave MAX BR1 Mk2 routers, in one organisation we have several hardware version 2 models. Incontrol2 scheduled updates and a manual update via InControl2 have failed (each time with the same result). All the Hardware version 3 updated OK for the client, the challenge appears to be with Hardware version 2.

The units are on a mixture of firmware 8.0.2 build 1480 & 8.1.0 build 4941. Of concern is that one of the units has gone offline and has not-self recovered.

We have created a Support Ticket for this with more detials, 20090195.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@mldowling, thanks for reporting this. We will follow up with you in the ticket since we have more visibilty there.

Thanks.

1 Like

I just tested build 4959 and it does seem to fix the issue in my testing. Thank you.

2 Likes

My firmware expired today. I had upgraded to the latest build posted that addresses the issue mentioned in this thread.

What are my options until 8.1.1 is released?

Could you publish a newer build with an expiration date that will last until 8.1.1. is released?