OSPF metric for PepVPN

Hello, I would like to request that OSPF metric be adjustable from my side for PepVPN tunnels. I had opened a case (ticket 787755) in which Yaw Theng confirmed that OSPF metric of 10000 is hard-coded in firmware v7 & v8 for PepVPN tunnels. This a problem in my environment because other routes take precedence due to their lower metric when I specifically want PepVPN routes to be installed in route table. I am requesting this feature to be added. Just to note, in v6 firmware this 10000 was not hard-coded. Thanks.

Hi @sjariwala, can you login to your Cisco router and send us the show ip route output? Also please state which route in the list is overlapping with the PepVPN route. This will help us know more about your network topology and give you the best solution.

And for information, PepVPN routes distribute to OSPF are set to external type 2 (E2) with metric 10000, this is the internal default even in firmware 6, what is the exact firmware version you’re referring to that you find the behavior has been changed?

1 Like

Hi Steve,

I don’t remember exact firmware version, I am pretty sure it was 6.x, but definitely before the OSPF metric of PepVPN routes was not 10000. I upgraded all my Peplinks to 7.x so I can’t look at my devices. I don’t have overlapping routes
at the moment because I used route maps and other config to suppress these routes. I can’t undo this now because it would cause routing problems. I just would like to have the ability to configure myself this metric rather than having it hardcoded at 10000.
Thanks.

-Swetal

Without knowing the route conflict information I can’t say for sure a metric change can help in your case. Is that suppressed route advertised from another OSPF router? Is that route advertised as Intra-area (O) or Inter-area routes (O IA) or external (E1 / E2)? I still prefer a complete show ip route output to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

In most cases route conflict shouldn’t happen, but if it happens like your case, PepVPN routes is designed to have higher metric so it won’t mess with existing routes (because PepVPN can go up and down frequently, it’s not a good idea to override local route by PepVPN).

1 Like

See attached for the complete list of OSPF routes. Yes it is via OSPF from other routers (always 172.18.255.161 or 172.18.255.162) and they are always O E2 (110/xx) where xx is always less than 10000. I have mostly fixed WAN connections
to the Pepwaves and even the Cellular WANs are stable. I want to have the PepVPN routes to always be primary and if the PepVPN goes down then to use other path.

-Swetal

routes.txt (7.53 KB)