Another good reason to use SpeedFusion with FusionHub - Oracle announced Dyn DNS services shutting down in 2020

Hello Peplink Colleagues,
How many of you are aware that the DynDNS services will finish operation at the end of May 2020 worldwide? It is one of the DDNS options many may still use on the WAN settings of their Peplink/Pepwave routers.

Oracle (who purchased DYN in 2016) is shutting down all remaining accounts on 31 May 2020 that are still in operation. The Oracle Cloud Infrastructure platform on offer does not cover what many have been doing with the DynDNS systems (we are among many paying customers devastated at the decision, though we are moving forward).

With this change coming, we all have another good reason to look at how the Peplink FusionHub with SpeedFusion can remove some of the past needs for DDNS. By using a FusionHub, it allows multiple remote ends that are on dynamic IPs (and even when behind a NAT) to centralise on a shared IP(s) that you can then share as an MSP.

I am optimistic that the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure may evolve in time, though it is in writing from Oracle on their website that currently the remaining DYN systems cannot be moved.

There’s more information available on this announcement at:

We are working with several clients to move and decommission where we can all remaining DynDNS services ASAP. We would be interested to hear what other Peplink Partners and customers are doing and alternative DDNS services that are working well for them with their Peplink/Pepwave equipment.

Can Peplink share with us all what service they use for the Peplink DDNS service : Find my Peplink running though InControl2?

There are many previous posts here in the forum about using DDNS services, though we felt a new thread was worthy of this topic.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Marcus there are some threads in the community.oracle.com forum advising that the end date has been moved back to May, 2022.

I am using the DynDNS Pro service with one of their standard domain names of xxxx.dyndns.org. I have not received any notice of termination. I’m confused whether the pending change affects my use. I do not have a custom domain name using the service, only the standard names.

2 Likes

Hello @Don_Ferrario,
We have an Enterprise setup with DYN (now Oracle) where we have many companies domains hosted and their sub-domains i.e. subdomain.yourdomain.tld that run Dynamic DNS services. We have not been given anything in writing to our team that the EOL for the services has been extended beyond 31 May 2020.

In regards to the later date mentioned in the Oracle Community, we have not received any communication directly from Oracle/DYN themselves verifying that extended date you mentioned. The posts we have seen in the Oracle Community with the 2022 date and elsewhere are not from Oracle/DYN staff. This response in the Oracle Community is from an employee https://community.oracle.com/message/15546979#15546979 and is dated 03 February 2020, it still has the end of May 2020.

Based on this we have to go with the date of 30 May 2020 to have everything migrated over/away.
Happy to Help,

1 Like

Hello Peplink Colleagues,
Our team have been in recent communication with the Australian team from Oracle and simultaneously the support DynDNS team. For the benefit of the community, we are sharing the most recent response (full names & emails removed) as it may help others as it has helped our company.

It is good that there is now an officially published extension on the services previously supplied by DynDNS, others will cease operation as scheduled initially from the end of May 2020.
The Oracle public article with information for Enterprise Customers can be found here

These are the dates published as of 17 April 2020 (they may change without notice)

Legacy Product Previous Target Retirement Date New Target Retirement Date
Dyn Managed DNS May 31, 2020 May 31, 2022
Dyn Email Delivery Service May 31, 2020 May 31, 2022
Zenedge WAF May 31, 2020 May 31, 2022
Zenedge DDoS May 31, 2020 August 31, 2020
China Network May 31, 2020 Not extended
Bulk Hosting May 31, 2020 August 31, 2020
TLD (Top Level Domain) May 31, 2020 August 31, 2020

For services, not part of the enterprise suite (such as e-commerce purchases), you can read more at Dyn to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure—E-Commerce Customer FAQ

So, in essence, most of the Dynamic DNS services have been granted an extra two year grace period to move over to either a solution with Oracle Cloud Infrastructure or another provider.
As we work through this over the next couple of years (or even sooner), our team will share what we observe and learn so to help the Peplink Community.

We welcome your contributions to this thread that may also help others with the journey ahead.
Happy to Help,

1 Like