OpenVPN Support

I thought I read somewhere on the forum that OpenVPN support could possibly be in v6.2, I checked the release notes and there is no mention of it. Is there any plans for adding OpenVPN support in the a v6.2 update?

The reason I ask is I assume a lot of other users who have purchased a Pepwave SOHO was due to them using a MiFi/USB dongle for internet access, and I assume a lot of users are using them because they live in a rural areas as I do and MiFi/USB is my only means of internet access. The problem is the carriers do not provide public IPs and hence I am unable to connect to my home automation system, cameras, security system when I am away from home. I am not willing to pay Verizon $500 for a static IP. I currently use OpenVPN on another DD-WRT router connected to my SOHO but it’s a pain having to route traffic from one router to another just so OpenVPN can be used. I would prefer just to use my SOHO and route all traffic through the SOHO and hence the OpenVPN connection.

Can we get OpenVPN support added please?

7 Likes

Hello,

OpenVPN isn’t currently support in 6.2. This is on the roadmap and engineering is currently working on it. I do not have the specific firmware build or release date but we’ll be sure to announce this once it is ready.

3 Likes

Jarid, That’s greats news, thanks for the quick reply.

BTW is there a link to the roadmap so I can see what new features will possibly be in future releases?

1 Like

Hi Jarid: I had an inquiry from a partner regarding OpenVPN support. Is this still on the roadmap?

1 Like

Hi all,

This is in our roadmap with low priority. Anyway, door still opened. We would like to get more feedback on this.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello I have another customer wanting this OpenVPN client & server support too

2 Likes

I’m bidding on a contract that could benefit from this feature on approximately 1,000+ MAX BR1 Slims. This would eliminate my need to have separate OpenVPN tunnels to each of the clients on the backside of the gateway. At a bare minimum, it would cut my configuration time for the VPNs alone in half and would save me 1,000 networks and 4,000 IP addresses.

1 Like

We use OpenVPN extensively with several clients as a preference to IPSec as OpenVPN is more stable and resilient over wireless and remote location installations. Is there a possible timeline for adding OpenVPN into the firmware of the Balance routers as well as the Max Routers?

1 Like

I’m going to add to this request… I know that the Peplink products have their own peer to peer VPN offering which is wonderful… but we also need options for 3rd party connections which IPSec is no longer up to our needs. OpenVPN is the ticket.

Having OpenVPN support would be yet more advanced feature separating PepLink from the competition.

We have IMMEDIATE needs for this in our field deployed PepWave BR1’s. We’ve migrated over to a Linux OpenVPN server, and unfortunately we had to do major work around via hardware to keep the BR1’s connected. Hardware solutions have their place, but you are limited by not supporting OpenVPN.

Please let us know updates with this so we can plan accordingly…

Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m going to add to this request… I know that the Peplink products have their own peer to peer VPN offering which is wonderful… but we also need options for 3rd party connections which IPSec is no longer up to our needs. OpenVPN is the ticket.

Having OpenVPN support would be yet more advanced feature separating PepLink from the competition.

We have IMMEDIATE needs for this in our field deployed PepWave BR1’s. We’ve migrated over to a Linux OpenVPN server, and unfortunately we had to do major work around via hardware to keep the BR1’s connected. Hardware solutions have their place, but you are limited by not supporting OpenVPN.

Please let us know updates with this so we can plan accordingly…

Thank you!

1 Like

Can you provide detail info for the above ? What are the workaround that you mention in-order to keep the BR1’s connected ?

Thank You

1 Like

I would like to formally request OpenVPN support as well.

2 Likes

I would like to add my voice here as well. I need OpenVPN support too.

1 Like

I also need OpenVPN functionality, please prioritise this feature.

2 Likes

No Open VPN support? I have had OpenVPN support in my consumer routers, on our VoIP phones and pretty much everywhere except this Balance 20 I bought. Seems like a great router but, for me at least, no OpenVPN support means it’s being returned or sold on Ebay. Seems pretty standard these days to support Open VPN, no?

2 Likes

Hello Peplink Engineering,
We are currently testing on some of our routers Firmware 7 Beta release, no sign of OpenVPN in the beta that we can find anywhere.
OpenVPN is a requirement for several government departments in Australia (and possible other countries too), can we get an update on support for OpenVPN, it would be good to have it available in firmware version 7 release when the production release is made available.
Appreciate your assistance,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Marcus, can you point us to such reference? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello Keith,
I will PM you.
Thanks, Marcus :slight_smile:

I would also like to see OpenVPN support added. Given that this thread is a couple of years old, & almost a year since TK_Liew said it was on the roadmap, one would hope that adding OpenVPN would have risen in the queue.

2 Likes

I’d like to see this feature as well, any update on this?

2 Likes