OpenVPN Support

Can you provide detail info for the above ? What are the workaround that you mention in-order to keep the BR1’s connected ?

Thank You

1 Like

I would like to formally request OpenVPN support as well.

2 Likes

I would like to add my voice here as well. I need OpenVPN support too.

1 Like

I also need OpenVPN functionality, please prioritise this feature.

2 Likes

No Open VPN support? I have had OpenVPN support in my consumer routers, on our VoIP phones and pretty much everywhere except this Balance 20 I bought. Seems like a great router but, for me at least, no OpenVPN support means it’s being returned or sold on Ebay. Seems pretty standard these days to support Open VPN, no?

2 Likes

Hello Peplink Engineering,
We are currently testing on some of our routers Firmware 7 Beta release, no sign of OpenVPN in the beta that we can find anywhere.
OpenVPN is a requirement for several government departments in Australia (and possible other countries too), can we get an update on support for OpenVPN, it would be good to have it available in firmware version 7 release when the production release is made available.
Appreciate your assistance,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Marcus, can you point us to such reference? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello Keith,
I will PM you.
Thanks, Marcus :slight_smile:

I would also like to see OpenVPN support added. Given that this thread is a couple of years old, & almost a year since TK_Liew said it was on the roadmap, one would hope that adding OpenVPN would have risen in the queue.

2 Likes

I’d like to see this feature as well, any update on this?

2 Likes

No update yet. We focus our development resources on enhancing our own PepVPN/SpeedFusion VPN technologies which are superior in bonding.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m seriously considering using DD-WRT routers that I can make work with OpenVPN rather than buying Peplink SOHO, but it’s unfortunate because I truly wanted to use OpenVPN. It’s a deal-breaker. :frowning:

3 Likes

OpenVPN is the number one feature that I would like to have. Do you have any update on when we’re going to have it? Is it still on the roadmap? Is it possible in 2017 or should I just go ahead and purchase hardware from elsewhere?

1 Like

Same here actually, with the new bill that was signed in congress about selling customer data ( Senate votes to undo Internet privacy rules ) I feel that feature makes even more sense.

Edit: Actually just saw PepVPN (I’m new to the Soho model). Would it do it? I have a subscription with a VPN provider and would like to use the config they provide.

PepVPN is site to site only- as in Peplink router to Peplink router. I don’t believe the Surf Soho can be configured as a VPN client for any other service.

Given Congress’s current anti-consumer Internet privacy policy, and their apparent attempts to prevent all future regulatory efforts to protect our online privacy and security, this is now an extremely pressing matter.

I may have to reconsider my use of Peplink products if this continues to be a low priority feature request.

3 Likes

We have some customers that haven’t chosen for Peplink/Pepwave products mainly because there is no OpenVPN support.

OpenVPN seems to be a demand in a lot of cases, of which some we lost to Teltonika products, since their products do support OpenVPN, besides IPsec and PPTP.

3 Likes

I have to say, while we certainly share the sensitivity re privacy, we’ve not found the lack of OpenVPN in Peplink products to have been limiting. Simple solution: Use one of the commercially available VPN products and create a tunnel directly from the user device on the LAN to the VPN provider’s endpoint. In one case with which I am familiar, one computer “dumps out” in Chicago, another in somewhere in Switzerland; another in New York, one in Montreal, etc.
The same owner routes some other traffic via PepVPN (which has been found to be bullet-proof, BTW) to a Balance 20 in another city which is served by a different ISP.
Easy!

The solution of installing VPN clients in the edge devices may work if you only have a few computers (and architectures) to support. But with lots of different devices (ranging from phones to servers) with varying needs when it comes to network policies, moving the VPN feature to the device removes policy capabilities from the network manager (no longer easily tunable at the router), not to mention the maintenance (and education) support requirements arising from such a deployment strategy.
Please add my voice to the chorus wishing for an OpenVPN support.

1 Like

I would also like to request OpenVPN support.

1 Like

Please add OpenVPN support. This is becoming the defacto-standard and is the most mainstream feature missing from the firmware.