OpenVPN Server on Max Transit Duo

Hello, I have a Max Transit Duo (MTD) that I am running OpenVPN sever on and my iPhone will connect to it via OpenVPN only when both devices are using the same local Wifi network (MTD is using Wifi as WAN). Once I switch both devices to use a cellular network, they will no longer connect via OpenVPN.

I suspected it was the IP address, but I am using No-IP to host the floating IP address (Dynamic DNS Service) and I think it is pinging the correct address. I say ‘I think’ since if I open Chrome and ask it for my IP address, it matches the IP address of my No-IP address however if I go into my MTD details page of the cellular connection, it shows a different IP address. To rule this out, I edited the OpenVPN client file ‘remote’ sting and manually entered and tested both IP addresses, but neither address allows me to connect back to my MTD router.

Is there another setting to allow OpenVPN server to run on my MTD router while on cellular data?

Just an update for anyone looking at this topic, turns out Verizon is not giving me a public IP address. I am behind their NAT server. I can switch my account to have a static IP address for $500 plus I have to purchase my own static IP from a 3rd party since they do not provide IP addresses. As far as I know, this is the only way to get OpenVPN server to work on my Max Transit Duo. I’m open to other ideas.

Unless they have changed their practice, calling their tech support to activate the static IP (after paying $500 for the account) for those SIM cards you want to make static results in a static IP assignment that will show up the next time the SIM card(s) reconnect. The APN will also change (but current practice avoids you having to do anything in that regard).

There is the alternative of setting up a FusionHub solo on a server farm and connect your Transit to the hub via SpeedFusion. Vultr and UpCloud are two good, inexpensive ($5/month) choices, and they provide the static IP. @MartinLangmaid has provided extensive guidance regarding how to set it up (it is easy). E.g. Accessing device behind BR1 using FusionHub - #2 by MartinLangmaid

Good luck.

Z

Hi Z, thank you for the information. The FusionHub solo looks like a good method for bonding and getting a static IP. For my Max Transit Duo to host OpenVPN, I would probably need to setup some sort of port forwarding on the Vultr site so the router receives the request. Does that sound correct?

Since my Max Transit Duo comes with SpeedFusion Cloud for 1-year, could I achieve the same thing with that service or won’t it give me a public/static IP address? I know it supports bonding, but I’m not sure about the PepVPN and how it would allow me through a double NAT using their SpeedFusion Cloud service.

This was the best video that I found explaining how to setup a FusionHub on Vultr.

1 Like

Just an update, I setup a Vultr Fusion Hub Solo license per the video above and it is working out great. It was tricky getting the file to upload on their servers. I ended up purchasing their Block Storage to upload the RAW Fusion Hub image file.

Also, I am new to the Peplink eco-system and my other locations do not have Peplink routers yet. To allow those sites to connect to the Fusion Hub Solo, I took advantage of the Fusion Hub OpenVPN server. I have three locations connect using OpenVPN however they are assigned a random IP address on the Fusion Hub server. Is there a way to reserve IP address’s through OpenVPN? I have IP camera servers that I need to reach however each time I connect, I have a different IP address.

I have a temporary solution/work around by using a No-IP.com client program to report the local TAP IP address back to a public name (mycameraexample.no-ip.org). The name allows me to see the assigned OpenVPN IP address. I would still prefer to assign the IP address directly.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.