Older Peplink Balance 20 question

So I have an older Peplink Balance 20 with the latest version of the Firmware. I’ve been having some cable ISP issues, which I traced to a bad Cat5 cable, which has been replaced by a Cat6 one.

BUT… while troubleshooting, I connected my laptop directly to my cable modem and my download speed its about 200Mbs… pretty much what is promised. However, as soon as I insert the router into the mix, that goes down to roughly half. Still plenty fast enough, but I’m curious if this is normal behavior, or what I might do/try to get the same speeds from the router.

I don’t really have any “fancy” settings on the network side… and mostly just port forwarding on the LAN side…

According to this page https://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/ - the current hardware revision is only capable of 150 Mbps. Since you indicated it is an older Balance 20 – I bet it is limited to the 100 Mbps that you are describing.

So didn’t think to check the specs… BUT… since this router is capable of connecting to two separate ISP’s, I decided to try to connect to “the other side” so to speak. Top rated speed now is about 160-170Mbs, which is more than adequate for home use. I’ll look into what is possible with this firmware… might be time for a hardware upgrade. I’m also getting a different IP address from my ISP, which is a little weird… the new one is a 66.x.x.x address, the previous one was a 42.x.x.x address… It’s cable so no telling HOW they have all this routed internally for me to reach the internet. For the moment, all is well. Thanks again for you post and I should have checked that… just never occurred to me the router might have a top limit…