Newbie question regarding aggregated routers

Hi,

Again a possibly silly question as this is the first time I am using a network aggregator. I have two routers that I manually enable/disable alternatively when a network outage occurs. Each one is configured like this:

• Router a): a 4G Vodafone router which I suppose is DHCP assigned. With an inbound IP at 192.168.1.1.
  • Router b): a cable router with a fixed IP. With an inbound IP at 192.168.1.1.

So both of them are configured as gateways of my network. I have been reading the One user manual and something is not clear to me.

• Do I need to assign different internal IPs to both of them like: a) 192.168.2.1 and b) 192.168.3.1?
  • Do I need to put them as a transparent bridge so they do nothing at all as routers and configure my One as the router with all port forwarding and so on?

Internally, you have to input the connnection type (DHCP, fixed, PPoE, etc…) which makes me believe that I need to set them as bridges but I am not sure of the technical reasons behind this and would like to know the logic before configuring it.

I am currently running no-ip and forwarding ports for RDS service.

That is all at the moment.

If you are to configure in such a way where your LAN connect to a Peplink Balance, and from Balance’s WANs to your router a and b, then yes, you’ll need to assign different internal IP to them. Problem with this setup is on your incoming traffic. As everything is still terminating on your router a and b, you’ll need to configure port-forwarding on your routers, as well as Peplink Balance.

Another way to do this, is to connect your WAN directly to Peplink Balance. For this to work, I need to know what type of connection you’ll using. Is it a sim card for router a, and a ethernet cable for router b?

1 Like

Thanks for your response, kv. I prefer the easiest solution. I supposed
this would imply setting both routers as bridges… Is this a supported
configuration?. Then Balance’s would deal with port redirection. In that
case, I suppose I need to configure WANS inputs as if routers did not
exist, right?. I mean, one of them has a fixed IP and the other one is
based on DHCP (the 4G connection)… I am a bit lost on this.

First I will configure the backup network (3G), so we can start there…

Mensaje enviado desde dispositivo mĂłvil, disculpe la brevedad.

Yes. By setting your 2 routers as bridge you can then configure the WAN interface on Peplink to reflect whatever settings you have for each connection, be it using DHCP, static, or PPPoE.

For your static line, is it a normal RJ45 cable? Is it not possible to connect directly to Peplink’s WAN, bypassing the router altogether? For your 4G/3G connection, my understanding they usually come in the form of a SIM card, no?

Thanks!, No, I am afraid it is not directly a RJ45. This is an aerial
connection where the antenna is attached to a microtik router which is not
transparent to me (it is managed by the ISP only). The 3G connection can be
made by a USB device (which holds the SIM/microSIM) or by attaching that
USB to another router (from Vodafone) which I can manage and that can also
receive a DSL connection. As the Balance will be housed inside a CPD,
directly attaching the USB would provide a poor connection quality so I
must rely on the Vodafone router and lay a RJ45 cable from the router to
the balancer…

Any suggestion on which approach will create the less problems and better
performance? (I suppose the bridged option is the best as I will not have
to deal with three different local networks…)

Mensaje enviado desde dispositivo mĂłvil, disculpe la brevedad.

If you can configure both router as bridge then that’ll be your best option.
Otherwise, it’ll be all 3 devices running in routed mode, which means you’ll be doing double-NAT’ing for both incoming and outgoing traffic.

1 Like