Newbie firmware, configuration file and InControl 2 questions please

Hi, I recently upgraded the Firmware to 7.1.0 and I saved the current configuration file as advised so I could just upload it again after the Firmware update.

Will all the settings remain the exact same? I mean the IP addresses are the same but I’m just curious if I should check any security issues that the new Firmware might have changed to make stronger?

I have never enabled InControl since I bought the Soho because it was after a terrible hack and I’m ultra paranoid about any kind of remote access. Also, it seems to be aimed at the business user rather than a personal desktop user. However, I just read a thread on here saying that if I don’t register InControl on my Soho someone else could use my serial number to register and then remotely turn on InControl?

That sounds like it would be impossible but I’m just looking for clarification.

Also, I just went to the Peplink site to register for Incontrol and it only asked for my name and email address. I then got asked to enter my company name and Group name which I could only say personal user. The screen froze at the Group stage and logged me out.

I’m wondering why I didn’t get asked for a serial number.

The seller I bought it from asked me for the serial number regarding InControl a few months ago but I didn’t bother sending it because I have it turned off. Should I have sent the vendor the serial?

Yes. And yes you should always double check everything after a firmware update just to be safe.

In theory, if someone else guessed your serial number and added it to their InCOntrol2 account they would be able to remotely access it if your device is using default settings for IC2 management.
If you don’t ever plan to use IC2 then go to System → InControl and uncheck the 'Allow InControl Management checkbox and click save apply.

IC2 signup can be a little confusing. Devices in IC2 always belong to a group which belongs to an organisation. An organisation belongs to a user. So when you sign up you create an account, an organisation, a group and then you add a device to the group (using the device serial number).

If you want to set up an account (and I would suggest its a good idea if only to take ownership of your serial in IC2) then try logging in again and adding the device once more.

The seller should have your serial number in their records. Peplink engineering needs your serial to provide support (especially if you enable remote assistance so they can securely connect to solve an issue).

1 Like

Hi Martin,

As always I really appreciate you replying so quickly and your advice.

It turned out to be my Firefox addons that were causing the screen to freeze and log me out so I used Chromium and as you advised, added an Organisation, Group name and the serial on my Soho.

The serial was recognised and the purchase date too which I thought was impressive as I wasn’t expecting Peplink to know that.

After that the status of InControl2 was 1 Device (registered) but inactive which makes sense because I have it turned off in the Router which I just had a look at as you advised and everything looks the exact same as before the Firmware update with InControl turned off.

One thing made me curious and I can’t remember if I’ve asked before. The Firewall rules I left on Default because I don’t know enough about them to mess about. The Inward and Outward rules both say Allow All but in Ubuntu’s ufw the default is Outgoing-Allow All, Incoming-Deny All.

Why such a radical difference regarding Incoming and which Firewall takes precedence, the Soho router or Ubuntu ufw?

I should probably read through Micheal Horowitz’s excellent Soho Set Up Guide as I’m sure he’ll explain the basics of it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

No worries :wink:

Assuming your Ubuntu box is behind the SOHO then its firewall rules ultimately trump those of the SOHO - for that particular PC. The firewall rules can be confusing. Check out my response here where I tried to explain them and why they are the way they are:

2 Likes