MAX Transit Cat 18 Basic Configuration for max speed

I can see that all your channels & widths are carefully controlled so that there is absolutely no overlap. That’s not something I can test at home, without turning off my main network, but it’s something I can definitely try this weekend when I’m in a quieter WiFi area.

How are your Peplink AP One Mini ACs connected to the Max Transit? Are they wired through a switch and into the LAN port? Or do they connect to the Max Transit via WiFi? If they connect to the Max Transit via WiFi, what do your AP settings look like on the Max Transit?

Wired through a cheap POE switch… TL-SG108PE

Downlink WiFi disabled on the Max Transit…

When I attempted overlapping 80mhz channels here, I got worse performance than the clean 40mhz channels.

1 Like

Ah – so that’s a difference. You’re not using the MAX Transit for both WiFi WAN and WiFi LAN – you’re only using it for WiFi WAN, and the other devices are serving up the WiFi LAN, with your careful crafting for them not to overlap channels.

Where I see the big performance hit is when I use the MAX Transit to provide WiFi WAN while also providing WiFi LAN. It appears that the MAX Transit forces the 5 GHz WiFi to use the same channel for WAN and LAN, so either I connect everything (WAN and LAN) to the same 5 GHz channel, in which case the device-MAX Transit transmissions are probably interfering with the MAX Transit-WAN WiFi transmissions, or I end up having to connect either my devices or the WAN to the MAX Transit over 2.4 GHz, and take that performance hit.

I’ll be sure to take my other WiFi router with me next week when I go out to do my testing. I should be able to mimic your settings and get a set of 5 GHz channels that don’t overlap at all.

Thanks for sticking with me and providing all the good info. It’s been very helpful in increasing my understanding of what’s going on. And hopefully in a week or so I’ll be able to verify that it was successful.

1 Like

I guess I should have highlighted this earlier - it apparently didn’t get noticed. Of course your signal strengths are going to be impacted with the wifi antennas serving double-duty.

Lemondrop9344,

I just acquired a Max Transit CAT 18 and Poynting 7-in-1 external antenna for what i believe to be much the same use and reasons that you have. I derived this belief from the various threads I have read (unfortunately this past weekend) posted by you and others. Had I discovered this information earlier - I may have chosen differently over the Pepwave.

My plan was to leverage LTE for most all my internet needs. My intent was to load 2 SIMS (AT&T and Verizon) and choose appropriate SIM based on my location at the time. Of course would leverage any local Wi-Fi that may be available at a location I may be at in lieu of LTE.

If you can please, while waiting on Verizon situation to resolve itself, what carrier SIMS and plan, if you don’t mind have you successfully been able to leverage for your current use of the Max Transit. Also - have you been able substantiate that the CAT 18 is truly an improvement over that would exist in a Max Transit CAT 12? My hope with a CAT 18 modem was for improved speed with weaker signals (distance from available towers).

Thanks !

Hyderbob,
Fortunately, the Peplink CAT-18 is now certified by Verizon. This is my 1st venture into the world of cellular modems/routers so I have nothing to compare it against, other than cable internet service. All in all, I am satisfied with the performance so far.
I have yet to install the external antenna, but, the paddle antennas have been adequate in my location (near Holden Beach, NC).
As for SIMs; I have a GUDP AT&T plan as my primary cellular connection & an older Verizon data only plan (15 GB/mos) as a backup. I also have a PC with a Verizon SIM installed with a Sierra Wireless module (4 G modem) with an older data only plan with 30 GB/mos. Verizon is my cellular carrier & I have older plans on two phones which allow tethering or hot spot usage.
Due to COVID, we have sheltered in place at the RV park near Holden Beach, NC for sometime. Some of the better WiFi I’ve encountered in a park.
The CAT-18 cellular service seems to do a better job of streaming video than the park WiFi. From time to time I encounter buffering issues with the park WiFi. Have yet to encounter that with cellular service from either AT&T or Verizon. As near as I can determine, I’m about 3-4 miles to the cellular towers.
Hope this helps a little.
Good luck!

Thank you very much for the response. I have begun my configuration and testing. Once working, I will install into RV. Looking for to the experience to understand how well it works in the field !

Cheers

Lemondrop or Heyderbob,

Did either of you ever get your issues resolved? If so, what did you do to resolve your issues. Did you come away with a baseline configuration that optimizes, or at least increases efficiency?

I’ve had my MAX Transit CAT-18 (with Parsec Husky Pro 7 antenna) for about a year and a half now and have never been satisfied with the performance. In short, I’m having similar issues as described in this thread.

1. Only slight increase in Down/Up speeds over just using a hotspot (nothing spectacular for the money spent).
  2. WiFi as WAN introduces 90% degradation of performance, so I just quit using it.

In fact, about the only improvement I can endorse is it’s ability to pull in remote signals, but I suspect that is more a function of the Parsec Husky Pro than the MAX Transit.

I had sort of given up hope until I stumbled across this thread. I’m hoping someone finally figured out the most efficient configuration for this device, or guidance on how to diagnose and fix said problems.

Just as a side note, back when I first set this up, I contacted the supplier about my concerns who then tried to sell me training with no certainty that the training would address any of my concerns. I passed.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

whbarlow,
From my perspective, the Max Transit CAT-18 has always performed within my expectations.
With either an AT&T or Verizon cellular signal I can stream media to two TVs at 720p, conduct Skype or Zoom meetings, download & upload sizeable files and shop on line to my heart’s content.
To the extent possible, I connect everything via Ethernet cable. I am not a big fan of WiFi if I can avoid it.
I’ve tried playing around with selecting various cellular bands to see if I could ‘improve’ performance over what I attained with the Peplink figuring it out on its own. Mixed results so far. Will admit I don’t frequent remote areas where a manual configuration may be better.
If you are so inclined, PM me with your phone number (or request mine). There are a ‘bunch’ of things that could be going on impacting your realized performance.