MAX BR1 - Recent radical bandwidth drop via 3g with my ISP

Hello, my trusty BR1 has recently become practically unusable with my primary ISP (Orange). Whereas before I was getting 4-6 Mbps down and 1-2 mbps up, I am now only getting 0.2-0.3 mpbs down and 0.2-0.7 up. These are obviously unusable speeds…can’t even load gmail much of the time.

I have tried another SIM from the same ISP in the BR1 and received the same slow results. This second SIM is the one I normally use in my mobile phone, and I’m seeing the normal 4.6 mbps up / 1-2 mbps down when using this SIM in my phone. So it seems that the problem is not the SIM.

My secondary ISP continues to operate at normal speeds, so something has changed with the interaction between my primary ISP and the BR1 that has resulted in this massive slowdown.

My BR-1 is running Firmware 7.1.0, but booted back to 7.0.1 and had same slow results.

How might I go about troubleshooting the “why?”

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Orange is obviously throttling your connection so please open a support case with them. The BR1 is not going to artificially slow down your connection, we will pass along whatever the network gives. Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’ve done some further testing, and it seems to me I’m still having a problem with the Pepwave BR1 or configuration issue with my ISP resulting in the dramatic slowdown. It appears my bandwidth is NOT being throttled by my ISP. Here’s what I’ve done:

1. I have replaced the SIM card with a new one from my ISP - problem remains.

2. I also have access to a Max BR1 LTE unit. I inserted the SIM card into this router, and I’m seeing normal speeds.

3. I forced the Max BR1 LTE into “3g only” mode so I could do a direct comparison with my BR1. I’m seeing normal speeds.

4. Again, my BR1 functions normally with my secondary ISP.

It seems, therefore, unless I’m missing something, that the problem is related to my BR1 and/or its configuration with my primary ISP.

Thanks for your assistance in solving this problem.