Max BR1 - Advice for configuration

I have a max br1 that connects to AT&T. I have a 2nd non-mobile router that get’s internet access from the max-br1. My question is, which cat-5 port on the max-br1 should i be using - the LAN or WAN port? Right now i have my netgear router wan port plugged into the max br1 LAN port and it works fine.

And that’s you answer :slight_smile:

Your secondary router is on the BR1 LAN plugged into its WAN.

Cheers,

Z

1 Like

OK so here is what i am faced with - i have a web-server running on a pc on the netgear LAN. I want to hit it from the internet. I port-forwarded the netgear but i am running into a problem getting the traffic from the LAN side of the BR1 to through the WAN on the netgear. What am i missing?

Just a few thoughts:

I assume the WAN IP address of the BR1 is routable? So packets from the internet can arrive at the BR1 WAN. From there they must be routed to the appropriate LAN address (that of the 2nd router). Have you set up the BR1 with an IP address pass-through sending all WAN-side packets on to the 2nd router on the LAN? Or might a NAT set-up on the BR1 be messing things up?

Cheers,

Z

1 Like

That’s the missing piece – not sure if the Max BR1 has the ability to send all wan traffic through – I was hoping someone on here would know how to do that. I have been poking around on the Max BR1 but not sure I know enough to make this happen LOL

It does. In addition to what @zegor_mjol suggested, I’d ask if this could be a CGNAT issue? You are trying to make an inbound connection via a cellular WAN on the BR1 and the cel service does not have a static IP address?

And, have you tried IP Pass-through Mode?

1 Like

I got the static ip handled – however, on the BR1, there is no obvious way for me to rout the incoming wan traffic over to the LAN side. There has to be a way, I just don’t know the BR1 well enough to find this – the nomenclature is not obvious.

One way is to enable IP passthrough:
On the dashboard, click on “Details” for the connection.

You’ll find the setting (and the explanation) on the WAN settings pane:

And just to be sure: Have you checked that your WAN IP address is routable (e.g, if it starts with 100.xxx.xxx.xxx then it most likely is not).

Z

2 Likes

@zegor_mjol gives you the best answer, I think. The MAX firmware manual is your friend and you find a description of IP Passthrough in section 9.1.1. IP Passthrough will serve the client one IP address and does so without NAT.