Low bonding performance between HD2 and Transit DUO

Hello,

we have an L2 Testnetwork with SpeedFusion.

Site “A” has three WAN Connections (1 x ADSL + 2 x LTE)
Site “B” has only one ADSL Connection with 200Mbits DL and 20Mbits UL.

We have tested some WAN Combinations on the HD2 and we have around 50-60% Overhead. Also the option where only similar LTE 1 and 2 are used the aggregated link is not more performant than one LTE connection alone. In case DSL is bonded together with LTEs as well the performance is very bad.

Do you have any idea how to get to 20-25% Overhead described in a Peplink WhitePaper? Perhals with Overflow instead of Bonding?

I would expect to get 14-16Mbits at a Speed Fusion Link with LTE 1 and LTE 2.

You find enclosed some results:

I.Peplink_Linkaggregation_Testresults.pdf (619.4 KB)

Best regards

I.

Need more info to assist with this. SpeedFusion throughput troubleshooting is detective work. You need to look for indicators that might suggest bandwidth sharing at the tower, packet loss, latency spikes etc and then work out the best way to use the WAN links you have with the characteristics you have observed.

You’ll need to run multiple speedtests combining the links in different ways, then capture the vpn chart each time and look for packet loss and latency.
The vpn chart is the one which you can find on the Status > SpeedFusion page by pressing this button. image

Click that button and it opens a new window - put that new window to one side then go back and click the button next to it image which opens up the vpn details page, where you can then temporaily disable remote WAN links for your tests.

Underneath that is the PepVPN test tool:

This is a quick and reliable way to test bandwidth end to end between the devices over the VPN tunnel.

Run your tests again, using the different combinations of WAN links, screen grab the vpn charts and share them here and we’ll see if we can help.

You might also want to speak with your Peplink partner.

2 Likes

HI Peplinkisti,

First check the following.

LTE: Make sure they are not on the same LTE Band.

If both LTE modems are on the same LTE band force one modem to not use that Band. The reason why you need to do this is that you are using 2x the same providers. if both modems are on the same LTE band. You are sharing bandwith between the 2 modems, and then combining that shared part causing alot of Overhead

Check if both LTE modems are on different LTE bands. Now do the test again like martin mentioned but only select both LTE modems to test with.

See if this gives you a better result.

Also keep i mind your Hub has a connection of 200 MBPS Down and 20 MBPS UP. So the max speed on your client can only be 20 MBPS Down (due to link limitation) and 120MBPS (due to pepvpn speed limitation).

1 Like