Load Balancing - Balance 20 (solved user error)

I have a balance 20 running firmware 7.1.0 build 3504

I have 2 WAN connections. For simplicity let’s call them wan1 and wan2.

I would like the load to be balanced across these links as evenly as possible. They are both set to have the same upload and download bandwidth. No matter what i try the vast majority of traffic happens on wan1.

I tried a weighted balance of 5/10 for wan1/wan2 and still wan1 traffic was 75% of wan2 traffic is. That makes me scratch my head.

Perhaps i should start here. If both connections are the same, what is the best way to configure the balance 20 so that I will get as close to 50/50 traffic on the links as possible?

Thanks

Generally, the default outbound policy rule works well which uses the lowest latency algorithm. Service passthrough support however, is enabled for certain traffic types under: Network> Misc. Settings> Service Passthrough Support.

These features help for easy out of the box deployments and they override outbound policy rules. If you know the traffic type it may help to determine the best way to configure the balance 20.

1 Like

Traffic type is widely varied. I have a lot of devices in my house that do a lot of things.

lowest latency will not work for me because despite having the same throughput capabilities, one of the links is a satellite link and latency measurements will always be much higher than the other link.

I am perplexed as to how a Weighted balance of 5:10 for wan1/wan2 still ends up with the vast majority of traffic going through wan1. Is there any way to explain that, or do i just not understand it well? I would expect that to put 2X outbound requests through wan2.

Here is what I am talking about:

This is with a load balance weighted to wan2:

The weighted balance algorithm distributes new sessions. How many outbound active sessions are on WAN 1 and how many are on WAN 2?

1 Like

Is this the answer you are looking for? I would expect 2X outbound sessions on wan2, right?

Ugh. I found the problem. User error. I know, it’s shocking. I had SSL traffic going down wan1.

Thanks for the replies though, it made me look a bit deeper.

2 Likes