L2TP with IPsec VPN and Windows Client

Hello, I have setup Remote User Access and have set the type to L2TP with IPsec. This is a balance 310 with
7.0.1 build 2988 firmware. This just works wonderfully with MOST PC’s using the built in windows VPN client. However, I have a handful of them that will just NOT connect. I have tried about everything I can think of, to no avail. I was thinking about switching to the Shrew Soft client, but can’t find the correct configuration to make it work. So my question is basically two fold.

1. Any suggestions on how to make these rogue windows clients to work?

2. Has anyone successfully setup the Shrew Soft client to connect?

BTW, if I switch it to PPTP server the windows clients that would not connect to L2TP, will connect to PPTP. But since PPTP will not work with IOS clients, then I can’t use PPTP.

Thanks!!
Greg

Greg,

Can you please confirm what version of windows you are using? So far I haven’t seen Windows 10 build-in VPN client have to many issues with using L2TP connections.

Thanks

We have had them with Windows 10 and with Windows 7.

Having the same issue with certain windows clients…

Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.309)

This should be the limitation of Windows machine if the L2TP/IPsec server (Peplink router in this case) is behind a NAT device. If your Balance router is behind a NAT device, please refer to the URL link below to modify the Windows registry.

1 Like