Is there a specific method to use my Peplink Balance 30 Multi-WAN router with a ZyXEL 300 Mbps Wireless N AP (WAP3205)?

Question 1: I just purchased the Peplink 30 and am looking for guidance on how I can connect my non-peplink AP to it to connect other wireless users/devices in my house? Maybe there is a webpage or URL that points to configuring non-peplink APs for use. The AP does have two ethernet ports to connect to external devices. I assume I can connect one of these to one of the PL 30 ETH ports and the PL 30 will recognize this is an AP device.

Question 2: If the AP has DHCP do I need to turn it off and allow the Peplink 30 to do the DHCP for wireless devices? Or do I just set the AP to do DHCP for its devices on the same subnet as the other devices on my PL 30 assuming I am using one big subnet internally?

Thanks
Ron

Hi Ron,

I looked up that device and it is configurable as a stand-alone AP, so you should be able to log in to it and set it up as an AP. There should be no need to use the DHCP server on the AP, as the DHCP can be handled by the Peplink. You can just plug it in to one of the ETH LAN ports on the Peplink 30 and all users will be on the same network.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks Tim. I will try this once I get everything configured in a week or two and let you know if it works.

I was able to get this working just as you described. I did have to change the admin IP address for the AP device to 192.168.1.2 and the admin IP of the Peplink to 192.168.1.5 since BOTH were previously using 192.168.1.1 Word of advice. Any WAN connections that also use 192.168.1.1 as an admin IP need to have theirs changed to something else as well so all are unique.

Hey tekneck, glad you got it working :slight_smile: