IPv6 Support

After performing more IPv6 testing with a Fritz!Box 6591 as provider router and a Peplink Balance One, I have understood, that enabling IPv6 on a Peplink Router will expose all my IPv6 clients from the “untagged LAN” behind it fully to the WAN. The Balance One just makes a pipe/bridge from WAN to LAN for IPV6 traffic, as it is working only in IPv6 passthrough mode. That means, all IPv6 traffic from WAN is passed to clients connected to “untagged LAN” only (not to clients in VLANs).
So all clients with IPV6 addresses will be exposed to the internet, if the provider’s router IPv6 firewall (Fritz!Box) is not enabled.
So I highly recommend to not enable IPv6 “exposed host” or “Open firewall for delegated IPv6 prefixes of this device” setting for security reasons on your provider’s router with the Balance One having enabled IPv6.

5 Likes

@Eddy_Yeung @Keith
Hi guys can you give any updates on where IPv6 support is and when it is expected that we will be able to use ipv6 on the WAN and for speedfusion tunnels. In our case we are currently buying ripe addresses to use for cellular devices to avoid the private rfc1918 ISP ipv4 addresses from the ISP. The ISP though does provide ipv6 so it would be far better if we could just use the ipv6 address for the required connectivity.

4 Likes

I’m jumping ship to another vendor. The use case you outlined is extremely common (TMo, Starlink, etc.), and Peplink doesn’t seem to have any interest sharing a roadmap for legitimate IPv6 support. This thread is 5 years old at this point. Give me a break.

1 Like

We habe already changed 80% of our equipment to another solution an nort renewed any subscriptions. Nobody seems to care about it and probably most new customers do not need IPv6

2 Likes

What vendor are you moving/moved to?

1 Like

Folks, we are working on IPv6. We know we’ve been late on this support, but this is a focus for this year.

Full IPv6 support is a fundamental change and there is a lot of work. We need to support WAN connections, SpeedFusion, cellular interfaces, WiFi and the LAN.

Right now, there is no clear ETA but we are targeting beta toward the end of the year. Thanks.

7 Likes

What should I read into this? These are the only units that will be capable on the IPv6 Roadmap🤷🏼‍♂️

For me it would be helpful, if the PL router could create a /62 or /64 IPv6 network for every VLAN based on a /56 IPv6 network received by Prefix Delegation from the provider router.

Is this a beta for firmware v9? Which devices are on the roadmap to fully support IPv6?

I first started using a Peplink Router in 2021, so IPv6 support wasn’t something I even questioned. After debugging some issues in a support ticket we ended up turning IPv6 passthrough off. This is concerning me. I was planning to expand adoption of Peplink products but I can’t have IPv4 only.

Hello Peplink;

When can we see IPv6 DHCP on LAN support? This is really an overdue feature that many of us need and have been wanting for a really long time. I have an Asus router as well which already has the following screen-shot-2022-02-07-at-12.png

but I want the “Peplink Balance Two” to have support preferably in the next firmware release.

Can you please keep this on a high priority? I have already logged in a ticket: 22020183 for this.

3 Likes

Hi @Keith,
any news to the IPv& support in the LAN?

THX
Dennis

2 Likes

Its a shame that there is still no support on Peplink devcices neither in the FusionHub… I hope there will be support for at least dual-stacked networks in the near future…

Regards
Jan

1 Like

Hello @Keith ,
How is the IPv6 development work progressing? Will the new Firmware Version 9 be the version that brings all of the Peplink features together with IPv6 compatibility giving the modern support and requirements for SD-WAN offering world-class managed cyber protection?
Appreciate your assistance,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear Peplink team,
any news or concrete planning on the IPV6 topic?
Would be happy to hear some news,
Chris

4 Likes

It’s 2023, how’s it going? Especially, how is the support for the Balance 310x planned? As an event company we have relied on peplink for a strong failsafe internet connection for streaming etc. However, more Event-locations have already completely switched to ipv6, as well as new starlinks, which makes it more and more difficult for us to use peplink effectively.

1 Like

Keith, it is December 8. Do you have any updates on IPV6 support? I see that 8.4.1 is currently in Beta. How soon can we expect to see IPV6 support? The lack of IPV6 support has me currently rethinking purchasing an x62 based MAX BR2 for my new RV.

Hello, Ashley Grant.
About BR2 pro with X62… There is no support of IPv6 at WAN or at the SIM CARDs.
I have one.

Peplink… Please… Wake UP, guys!

Regards,

1 Like