Introducing Firmware 8.1.1!

Balance 20 - HW7 Firmware 8.1.1 build 4986

brand new, booted and updated to the latest firmware
watched the videos, and setup SFC and a couple different sub tunnel profiles

couple bugs:

bug 1:
SpeedFusion Cloud > Connect Clients to Cloud
SpeedFusion Cloud > Optimize Cloud Application

these functions act like they are saved/working… but actually did nothing – they didnt send any traffic to the SFC after saving and applying. this drove me crazy for a few hours until i finally removed those and recreated with standard Outbound Policy rules and SaaS via editing with InControl.

bug 2:
SpeedFusion Cloud > Connect Clients to Cloud
only a small partial list of LAN Clients visible (are all LAN Clients supposed to be visible/selectable?)

bug 3:
https://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/MANGA/index.cgi?mode=config&option=sfcloud_location#
every time this menu popup opens, “Enable” is always disabled… even if it IS enabled.
using Chrome browser, latest version.
i kept making changes to the sub tunnels only to realize i disabled SFC upon Saving/Applying… if I didnt remember to re-enabled “Enabled”.

thanks! (and sorry if this is reported in the wrong place. im new!)

This Balance One report is pretty unsettling.

@rktchip, Below is my testing result with Balance 20.

Problem 1

Can you share how you notice these 2 features are not working?

Problem 2

I have 2 LAN clients connected to my Balance 20. Both are available at SpeedFusion Cloud > Connect Clients to Cloud

Can you provide similar screenshot for me to take a look?

Problem 3

Are you referring to this? I don’t see a problem.

1 Like

Hello!
I have made videos showing all 3 bugs – and I made a video for a 4th – I’m not sure if its a bug, but it certainly is confusing.

#4 - Disabling and Deleting Outbound Rules from InControl does not update the Balance 20. EDIT:: I found the setting “Preserve outbound policy on devices that receive no rules (Default)” so this #4 is by design.

I will send them in a PM to you.

Thank you

I have the same issue on a Balance 20. Firmware 8.1.0 was unstable but usable for the most part. Would occasionally have a period where the router was unresponsive. A reboot might fix it, or fix it after a period of time and then it may become unresponsive again.

It got WAY worse with 8.1.1. I have not been able to use it at all. Upon installing it my router froze and was unable to be contacted and network had no connectivity. I had initiated the firmware upgrade remotely while at work. It was down for 24 hours until I could troubleshoot. A reboot would bring the interface up and make it contactable for a minute or 2. My Internet connection would never even make it back up. I could access the web interface and then it would lock up and stay locked up with no connectivity at all. This happens on every single reboot. I had to finally reboot and tell it to revert to 8.1.0 to use it at all.

I would like 8.1.1 to work, especially for the DNS O Matic fix.

@vzwinagent ,

Can you please upgrade your device using the firmware post for the below ?

1 Like

I saw that and installed it after my reply. So far the router seems stable. The Mobile Internet however is not connecting. It just says Initializing. I did a reboot and same thing. Everything else seems to be working.

@vzwinagent ,

Can you open a ticket for us to check further ?

https://ticket.peplink.com/ticket/new/public

1 Like

Just did that.

@vzwinagent

Thank you and we will investigate on that.

1 Like

Where’s the fusionhub release?

Still on one of the RCs (I think RC3), download page still has 8.1.0

I’ve been running 8.1.1s017 build 4987 on my old Balance 20 (HW3) for almost a week and it’s been fairly solid. Had WAN1 fail and it switched to WAN2 with no problems. It is also running two Speedfusion Cloud connections, one PepVPN and controlling four APs. Still testing, but it’s much more stable than the stock 8.1.1 firmware.

It’s nice to see a company that believes in supporting their old hardware.

3 Likes

Same problems here. Very interested in seeing this resolved. I’m using all three WAN ports and the cellular on the balance 20. I can’t get 8.1.1 to work for more than 5 min and it locks up. I’ve reverted back to 8.1.0 until there is a fix.

@ekonikoff, you may try https://download.peplink.com/firmware/plb30/fw-b20_30-8.1.1s048-build4990.bin. It is based on 8.1.1s017 with more enhancement.

1 Like

Build 4990 seems to be working. Thank you.

Spoke too soon. I’m noticing the mobile internet reflects no device detected in spite of the mobile device showing a USB tethered connection. I’ve done this with multiple devices and it worked with 8.1.0. Anyone else experiencing this?

Has anyone experienced a strange reload of an old config on the device after upgrade to 8.1.1 ?

I’m not sure if it loads somehow an old file or if it loads the config of the second firmware slot but I’m pretty I had several cases where, after upgrade, config isn’t the same anymore…

1 Like

The DSCP outbound policy feature seems to only be available when created on the device. Is there a plan to add this to IC2 (or am I missing how to do this?) like the Destination SaaS outbound policies?

I am checking on this.

2 Likes

There are a few items on the firmware and IC2 side needed to make this available from IC2, so I think you can expect to see something around mid year, at least in beta.

I’m curious how/why you want to use this?

1 Like