Introducing Firmware 8.0.1!

Several of us are seeing this but they have yet to reproduce it. You should open a ticket.

It is transitioning because the master is rebooting, my guess would be crashing. In our scenario, as we had higher throughput (call center, more active SIP calls at a time) the reboots became more frequent.

PS: Rolling back to 8.0.0 resolved the issue for us. Has been up for a couple days now, and the previous uptime was from May until now (and only because we did a firmware update in May).

Hi,
I also have some concerns with the password requirements in 8.01
I setup hundreds of the MAX-BR1 Minis and need to do the firmware updates before deploying. We have a standard config we deploy with the passwords already created.
In the past Iā€™d upgrade FW to 7.1.2 and then upgrade to 8.0 and then upload the config. Now when i go to 8.01 I have to do a password reset before I can upload my standard configuration that has a standard password.

Iā€™ve briefly looked though the settings but donā€™t see where this option can be disabled or the complexity requirements changed.

Also when I upload my standard configuration that doesnā€™t meet the new password requirements Iā€™m not prompted to change it. I setup hundreds of these manually and that password change adds an additional step.

Also not sure if it was just coincidence but I had a tech do an 8.01 update onsite and afterwards I was no longer able to connect to the unit using ā€œRemote Adminā€ in IC2. Iā€™m wondering if it was caused by the password reset request not being done since the tech didnā€™t login into it after the upgrade. I was able to remotely reboot the unit but never could get back into it.

Iā€™d like to see some detailed info on the new password requirements.
I didnā€™t see anything about it in the firmware notes.

2 Likes

There is a bug in 8.0.1 causing URL logging to external server sending malformed packets.

This is example packet correctly sent from 8.0.0:

<6>Nov 05 17:49:30 br2gw URL Logging: URL=http://update.eset.com/eset_upd/era6/update.ver SRC=172.22.16.11 DST=38.90.226.40 SNATIP=69.245.176.12 SRCMAC=40:8d:5c:a3:38:a7 SPT=60237 DPT=80 WAN_TYPE=wan WAN_NAME=wan2

And this is malformed packet sent from 8.0.1:

PVƂĀ”VƊdƄEĀµQH@@)Ā³Ā¬dĀ¬ Ā”ĀæĆÆ<6>XXXX-XXXX-XXXX br1gw URL Logging: Domain <graph.facebook.com> visited by <172.22.4.21> has been blocked by content filter category

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX is my routerā€™s serial number. So it seems that date/time is missing from the packet and itā€™s replaced by random characters. Also serial number is added when it wasnā€™t before.

Itā€™s happening on both Balanace 380 and Balance One. I already have ticket opened for it.

Hello,

Product MAX-BR1-MINI-LTE-E
Problem manual Carrier Scan. After a reboot the scan does a good scan and returns with the Carriers. The next scan it return within 2 seconds with always the same carriers list

To scan for the carriers
I have to downgrade to 8.0.0 or to reboot for each scan

Iā€™ve updated two devices now from the web admin from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1
The option=firmware_progress page says ā€œFirmware upgrade It may take up to 2 minutesā€ and then has an orange status bar. It went to 79% and then stopped updating.

The other device I did previously said It may take up to 6 minutes I believe (a br1 mini) and that status graph also stopped before it got to 100%. So I waited the 6 minutes and then refreshed the browser window and logged in again with the new cert installed by 8.0.1 and it said it was running the 8.0.1 firmware.

is the status bar supposed to go all the way to 100%?

Or is it expected to be interrupted by the device rebooting and not actually reach 100%?

@SotYPL, We donā€™t see the reported problem in our lab test. I notice you have opened ticket. We will follow up with you there.

@aquablue, my upgrade from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 is smooth. We need to take a closer look on your device that failed to do the upgrade. Please help to open ticket.

1 Like

Both devices appear to have updated fine to 8.0.1. itā€™s just the status bar on the update window never reached 100%. Maybe itā€™s because a new cert was installed as part of this update?

I was curious if the status bar is intended to reach 100% before the device reboots?

@aquablue: Our experience is coincident with yours across the several models, Max and Balance, weā€™ve updated. Thatā€™s also the situation with previous FW upgrades. Not an issue at all from what weā€™ve seen. ā€œPatience ā€¦ā€ :grin:

1 Like

Yes - just had a B710 crash 3 days after upgrade to 8.01. Had been running 8.0 for months totally stable.

This B710 crashed three times in 90 minutes. I just downgraded to 8.0.
Not sure if a general B710 issue or related to number of speedfusion connections (290). I have submitted a ticket but thought I would let people know here. I have about 600 BR1, BR1 mini etc all on 8.0.1 and they seem fine so far.
I have two other B710s on 8.0.1 with no problem yet, but I am going to downgrade them tonight just in case.

I have same issue. Keep randomly restart since the upgrade. Any fix?

@jmpfas

Iā€™m working with @Jonathan_Pitts for the devices reboot issue.

@Tung_Le_Thanh1 Please open a support ticket for support team to further investigate the problem.

1 Like

I have a lot of problems with the new firmware 8.0.1. It keeps restarting the router. This has never happened to prior versions. I tried to roll back to 8.0.0 but IPSec VPN does not work as it used to :frowning:

Nov 10 03:08:10 System: Started up (8.0.1 build 2695)
Nov 10 17:01:23 System: Started up (8.0.1 build 2695)
Nov 11 13:09:32 System: Started up (8.0.1 build 2695)

Where is the link to create a support ticket?
ā€¦

Hello @Tung_Le_Thanh1,
Here is the link to Peplinks website ā€œContact Usā€ page.

Click on the ā€œOpen a Support Ticket Ā»ā€, this was previously mentioned earlier in this thread.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the link. I created a support ticket. Looking forward to further update.

1 Like

@mldowling @sitloongs

I have the same issue like @Jonathan_Pitts (Device keep reboot) i had open ticket earlier with no answer from your side (ticket # 9110151) so i open another one reference for the previous ticket
the new ticket # 9110316 , i would like to have your assistance so i can figure out what the issue

thanks

We have downgraded to 8.0 at this time on anything balance 305 and higher to resolve the issue.

1 Like

We are testing a fix, peplink will update this thread when the issue is resolved.

I just updated my Surf Solo to 8.0.1 and am trying to reconnect to the router over wifi.

Iā€™m getting a certificate issue (ā€œcaptive-portal.peplink.comā€ certificate name does not match input) when it checks the certificate with GoDaddy.com.

Is this normal? Can I trust that the bad looking certificate is actually good?

Thanks!

Hello @onnimikki,
There is nothing wrong with the certificate or your router. Please have a look at this response to another forum thread by @Michael234 to get more of an understanding.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

3 Likes