Intermittent VPN problems on Peplink Balance 305 after internet speed upgrade

We upgraded our Spectrum internet from a 50x5 connection to 400x20 several days ago. This required the installation of a new modem. I rebooted our Peplink Balance 305 router and everything appeared to be working fine.

Then a few people started reporting problems connecting to the VPN or being unable to connect to the internet while connected to the VPN. I contacted Spectrum and they said the modem is working fine, and they show that our internet speed is actually about 500x24. I ran a speedtest and it showed about 250x23. I checked the Peplink Balance 305 specs and it looks like it is only meant to handle throughput of 400 Mbps. I suspect that might be the reason for the intermittent VPN problems. Do I need to switch back to a slower connection or is there some setting I need to change on our Balance 305 router?

Hello JimWH,

The 400Mbps throughput is for the total amount of data being pushed over the router. If you’re pushing more than this amount you can see unexpected behavior, but the connection shouldn’t have any issues with just a speed upgrade.

What version of firmware are you currently on? Have you upgraded the firmware recently?

Thanks,
Zach

2 Likes

Thank you, Zach.
The firmware version is 6.1.0 build 2863. I have not upgraded it recently.

I would recommend upgrading to the latest firmware that your device supports. You’ll need to find the Hardware Revision to know what firmware image to download. You can find your revision number in the Status tab.

Once you’ve learned the hardware version you can find the latest firmware to download here.

2 Likes