Inter-VLAN Routing Back and Forth

Hi,

I’m running a Pepwave Surf SOHO MK3 running version 7.0.3 build 1260 firmware. I have the following setup:

VLAN1 broadcast on SSID: private network for computers and other sensitive devices
VLAN2 broadcast on SSID-guest: used for internet access for visitors
VLAN3 broadcast on SSID-IoT: used for IoT devices only

Does enabling inter-VLAN routing on VLAN1 only allow inter-VLAN routing from devices on VLAN1 to other VLANs or from VLAN1 to other VLANs and from other VLANs back to VLAN1?

Thanks!

The Inter-VLAN routing option means it will allow/disallow (checked/unchecked) the communication of the devices on that particular VLAN to other VLANs.

If you need the devices in VLAN1 access devices in VLAN2 & VLAN3 but not the other way round, then it is recommended to use the Internal Network Firewall Rules for advanced control the access between VLANs.

2 Likes

Great, thank you so much!

I have a follow-up question - are there advantages to using the internal network firewall rules versus the inter-vlan routing option or the converse?

Basically “Internal network firewall rules” and “inter-vlan routing” are two different control access methods.

For advance control like your case that you may need to allow certain access for certain VLANs only then “Internal network firewall rules” will be best fit here.

For “inter-vlan routing”, just treat it as disable the routing feature between the VLANs. When you disable “inter-vlan routing” for the specific VLAN, that mean no communication between the VLANs and the traffics direction only to the WAN (Internet )

Hope this explained your concerns.

2 Likes