inControl2 won't see remote device online

HI, I have a BR1 Max and Balance One onboard a yacht in Japan, I have another BR1 Max in the uk at my office, I’m trying to setup a P2P Vpn between them so that we can connect 1 of the computers onboard to the UK IP address.
using InControl I have added the 2 remote devices using their serial numbers, but they show OFF LINE all the time, I have asked the yacht skipper to load InControl his end on his phone and so connected locally and he gets the same result and cannot enable the remote access switch in the phone app.
any help and advice would be much appreciated

cheers Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Is the skipper on the yacht able to login to the devices? If so, there are a couple of tests they can run - see this post for more information > Device is Offline on InControl <

I hope this helps,

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve, thanks for the quick reply, I will pass this over to the yacht skipper ( although he isn’t massively tech savvy ). the balance One Warrenty has expired, and the Br1 I have in the office is due to expire in a couple of months. however the Warrenty on the yacht Br1 is still good.
so minimum I should see both Br1’s online I’d guess ?
what’s the situation with keeping the Warrenty up ?
Cheers Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Here is a link to Peplink’s Hardware / Warranty > Policy < - Both the Balance One and the BR1 are “Velocity” products.

Devices with a valid warranty or a valid InControl subscription can be managed using InControl - if these expire, then the devices appear offline and can no longer be managed via IC2.

Where a device is working (ie passes traffic to the internet), but it shows offline on InControl, it is worth checking that the device is configured to report to InControl:-

If the drop-down says “Disable” then the device will not report to InControl, so this needs to be changed to InControl, as shown.

If that doesn’t fix the issue, then run the ping test - if that fails, then there is something (perhaps ISP related) preventing the traffic from reaching InControl. The Peplink Support team will be able to help, to verify this, but if the Ping works, then it may be worth ensuring the appropriate ports are open on any firewall between the Peplink devices and the internet.

I hope this helps,

Steve

1 Like