HW3 Mini Power Consumption

The HW3 Mini is a great product. It has three times the bandwidth, gigabit ethernet ports, dual band WiFi, GPIO, etc. These are all great enhancements. Unfortunately nothing is free and they come at a cost. One of the costs is substantially higher power consumption versus the HW2 Mini (1.8W vs 13W nominal and 12W vs 18W Max).
In most environments the increased power consumption is not an issue. In the market that is dependent on solar power and batteries however, it is a major issue. Multiple customers of the Mini deploy some portion of their Minis in solar powered locations. Two key ones that I deal with are emergency kiosks and construction site video surveillance monitoring systems.
It is not unusual for devices to offer at least a partial solution to the increased power consumption, a low power mode. This can be implemented in many ways that are a function of the product’s capabilities. One frequent attribute of low power implementations is that they rely on a triggering mechanism to activate normal power consumption mode which remains in effect for some period of time. Following this the device reverts to low power mode.
My temptation is to set out elements of an implementation. This would be foolish as I am not aware of what’s possible with the device. Based on this I’ll leave it to Peplink.
Suffice it to say that a low power mode would allow Peplink Minis to compete with the Sierra RV55 I am forced to propose due to its low power consumption. It would also prevent some of our current integrator customers from considering alternative products.

1 Like

Hello Leonard,

you can find more details about power consumption here. We did a quick test in our office to compare HW2 vs HW3.

One thing to mention, that when we did comparison HW2 had Cat4 modem, while HW3 Cat6.

Next, if you do need to send data often you can think about using Ignition sensing feature which will set device to “sleep” mode. In this mode device CPU and modem power is disabled leaving only small circuit running which tracks ignition pin level (used to enable and disable power supply).

@Giedrius I don’t think that ignition mode is a true sleep mode.
It would still require the entire linux system to boot up and the cellular modem to reacquire signal etc.
Is there a mode that we could turn off power to wifi and or cellular modem to reduce consumtion?

Hello Jonathan,

yes, you are correct. It will requite entire Linux system boot and then connect to carrier network. So I suppose it is useful only if you need to transmit couple times a day…

As I know we do not have a special mode to get device into a low power mode… so the best advice for now would be to disable Wi-Fi if it is not needed.

Is there a method that can be implement to turn off the wifi and cellular modules compeltely to reduce power consumption?