How much of a difference will an utilizing the SMA aux for MIMO make?

I’ve been adding to my setup over the past 6 months. Each addition has improved my overall signal strength, and internet connection to some degree. I’m at the point that my signal is acceptable to me and I’m pretty happy with it. I did just find out that the SMA aux for the BR1 is used for MIMO and it gets closer to the LTE spec. I’m not sure what scheme or anything like that. It would be cool to here more about how that technically works, and if anyone has information, I’d love to read more about it.

Here’s my real question though: given that I’m content with the signal, would adding another outdoor antenna do 1 of 2 things: increase my bandwidth or decrease my latency? I know that a lot of this is up to the receiving antenna (my provider), but I’d like to see if my chances of achieving those 2 goals are possible.

Current setup:

[ul]
[li]Pepwave Max BR1[/li][LIST]
[li]SMA Main[/li][LIST]
[li]Wilson Outdoor Directional Panel Antenna (got me ~20db)[/li][li]Weboost Amplifier (~10db)[/li][/ul]

[li]SMA Aux[/li][ul]
[li]Default antenna that comes with BR1. Indoors, does not face windows[/li][/ul]
[/LIST]
[/LIST]

Current signal:

[ul]
[li]LTE Band 2 (1900 MHz)[/li][LIST]
[li]RSSI: -75dBm[/li][li]SNR: 8dB[/li][li]RSRP: -103dBm[/li][li]RSRQ: -12dB[/li][/ul]
[/LIST]

Current speed test:

[ul]
[li]Download: 11.73Mbps[/li][li]Upload: 3.97Mbps[/li][li]Ping: 145ms[/li][/ul]

What are my chances that adding another Wilson Panel to the SMA aux will increase my bandwidth or decrease my latency? Also would I need to have the same setup (antenna and amp) or just an antenna to see improvements?

MIMO is an inherent part of the LTE specification and the following is a good read:
http://www.unwiredinsight.com/2013/lte-mimo

It is more relative in an urban environment where there are lots of buildings and objects where the signal bounces off of. In a rural deployment with line of sight has less of an impact.

It seems like your deployment is more rural and while you might notice a small gain in speed it may not be worth the expense and additional work.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I read the post that you added too. I’m guessing that the Pepwave BR1 doesn’t do spatial multiplexing then? It just sends the same packets from both antennas simultaneously (for spatial diversity)?

The BR1 can do both and this is completely dependent on how the carrier has their base stations set up and it can even change dynamically.

Is the “Aux” antenna necessary for MIMO to be fully functional? I install the MAX devices on yachts, so a second antenna is a simple add on.

The Aux antenna is required for true MIMO functionality. Thanks.