High availability disappointing (and dangerous)

It’s definitely not clear what master/slave means. The RFC uses the term master, but it also uses “backup”, not slave. The difference doesn’t seem significant. The RFC is using master etc only in relation to the LAN:

The VRRP router
controlling the IPv4 or IPv6 address(es) associated with a virtual
router is called the Master, and it forwards packets sent to these
IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.

It’s solely to do with the LAN, not anything else. All I want is the unit to deal with the LAN, and nothing else.

Also you can go look at the diagram, as quoted above.

1689953015989.png

It shows that backup and slave are the same thing. Again, the only thing this is illustrating is the things happening on the LAN, and nothing else.

In which case Peplink’s high availability function seems not to be the appropriate architecture for your use case.

As for the diagram from the Peplink documentation:

I see an active master and an inactive slave (as indicated by the grayed-out communication lines, the grayed-out slave and its labels and the context of the diagram in the Peplink documentation). You may also note that VRRP is on the LAN side only (as explained by @padaco-daniel )

But that is neither here nor there, w.r.t. the clarity of the documentation. I get it that you understood it to mean something other than what was intended. Since Peplink folks are participating in the forum I expect they’ll take notes as warranted.

Good luck.

Z

2 Likes