Having unit be an NTP time server would be helpful

Hi Guys,

have you found the solution already for the HD to act as NTP server? I am lookinng for this feature.

MAX HD4 as GPS time server. So LAN devices uses clocking source as HD4.

Max HD4 acts as time server using internal GPS clock source. – HD2/HD4 has already GPS receiver. If we connect an external antenna, then it receives all the necessary clock information. Can it be possible to use this reference clock as time server to some of the equipment on board?. Basically then the device needs to support as time server through LAN ports.

This feature is obvious when it comes to Marine applications. so we need this as soon as possible.

thanks to consider

2 Likes

Yes, it makes a lot of sense when it comes to reducing any redundant traffic over expensive satellite links in maritime. Thanks for the insight. We will make sure the feedback reach engineering and provide a response soon.

1 Like

I’d like to add my voice to those requesting a Stratum 1 NTP server in Pepwave products. I have two Max BR1 Mini units that I’m using for Internet at remote field research locations, and I need high precision/accuracy time for time stamping sensor info. While it is theoretically possible to add GPS time sync to my data acquisition PC, it would be super helpful to have local NTP (which works even if mobile Internet goes down) especially since the BR1 mini already has GPS hardware.

Thanks!
-Randy

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. We have committed to bring this feature available in our routers. It’s been put on our roadmap. ETA is to be determined soon, we hope to bring it out within this year.

1 Like

Greetings,
Sorry to ask, but the ETA was going to be delivered soon 8 months ago ;), will this be in 7.1?

Thanks
Dana

1 Like

I would definitely like to see my Pepwave Surf SOHO MK3 be able to function as a NTP server.

Right now, for my LAN I have my NAS running as the NTP server for a lot of stuff that isn’t allowed Internet access. I’d really like to block (at the router) all Internet access for the NAS as well. But because of the need to run the NTP service on the NAS, I can’t do that. But once the router can act as the LAN(s) NTP server, the NAS can be cut off from the Internet too.

1 Like

NTP service to the LAN/WiFi side only, of course.

Many latest features in 7.1 have jumped the line and push back some features including this one. But this feature is still on the plan. It should be sometime later this year but I’m not going to give a date until it’s close :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any status in this request? Also if it was added to the features would you pull time sync over the GPS link?

We have currently a project requirement for a integrated time server in a MAX router. Because time sensitive applications depend on a time server in the LAN.
Please push forward this feature to the next release.

2 Likes

Hello @Keith & @Tim_S,
Our previous client who was interested in this has now gone else where for a solution, though we would still like to see this still in future firmware.

Can this NTP server function be done in FW 8.0.x as we still see it as being useful for many?
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While not crucial this would be helpful. Any updates on this feature?

We shall see what we can do on 8.0.1. Stay tuned.

3 Likes

Nothing better than come back on an old thread due to a customer request and see that Peplink is planning it soon :wink:

Thanks Eddy !

3 Likes

Sure seems like a great idea on our end – we pay as much (or more) than a BR1 Mini costs for stratum 1 time servers! Seems like a “no brainer” for Pepwave devices which already incorporate a GPS RX. :drooling_face: Real “value added.”

2 Likes

Looking forward to this features availability. Staying tuned :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Any idea when we will see this NTP server feature available?

2 Likes

‘Why would this be useful?’
Because it would eliminate one of several common justifications made by the many manufacturers of poorly secured IOT, NAS, and other resource-constrained consumer devices in particular as to why their product needs to connect to the internet every e.g. 2 seconds which is 86,400 times a day.
Multiply that by e.g. a modest 5 iot devices in a home, and that’s 432,000 internet connections per day just for time-keeping alone.

This sort of thing puts an entire network(s) in danger since it only takes one device to be compromised.

I’d rather have a well-designed, capable router built with security in mind make those connections for all of them, and pass them to the rest of everything else on a network that I can potentially keep on the LAN.

I’m really glad to see this feature getting implemented!

3 Likes

Engineering team still need some times to complete the NTP server feature. We may have test firmware for the feature soon.

I will post again when the test firmware is ready.

5 Likes

I need this for an upcoming project. How far away is it do we think?

2 Likes