Has balancing been added to MAX BR1?

We have a number of MAX BR1 units and I just saw a post from Feb of last year that begins “Now that the MAX BR1 supports load balancing, is it possible …”

Has load balancing between sims been added? How do I find out about this? Is there an updated manual or firmware release that describes this?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi @it_mbeya
The BR1 supports Load Balancing between the different WANs, not the SIM cards. You can now utilize Ethernet, Cellular, Wi-Fi WANs simultaneously.

1 Like
2 Likes

Is firmware 7 free? Or do we need a license / license upgrade?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

it’s free. You’ll find it here

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

I just looked over the release notes. Maybe I am not asking the right thing. What I want is to plug 2 sim cards into the back of my MAX BR1 - one from two different ISPs - and have my traffic load-balanced between them. I didn’t see mention of that.

Steve

Hi Steve,

the BR1 has one LTE-Module, so you can’t use more than one SIM at the same time.
You can plug in 2 SIM-Cards, for e.g. if one Card has no Signal, the other one will be switched on

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

Duhhh. Where is the icon for the embarrassed IT guy? Thanks very much for clearing that up after all this time.

I do have 2 BR1s - I have outputting them to a third device (a Zywall) that can do load balancing. But could I daisy chain my 2 BR1s each on its own cellular network ? Plug the lan output of the 1st into the WAN input of the 2nd unit and use the second unit’s load balancing?

Thanks everyone in advance for being very nice to me.

Steve

Hi Steve,

this sounds nearly like a good Idea. I don’t think thank you need a “cross” connection.
BR1#1 LTE and on WAN-Port the LAN-Port of BR1#2.
Then change the priorities of the WAN-Connection

Wich kind of BR1 do you have?

No guarantee that this works :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - I would try it

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

Cool. I’ll try it … on a Saturday. :slight_smile:

What kind of BR1? uuhh… a black one?
Incontrol Model shows: Pepwave MAX BR1 LTE We are running firmware 7.1.0
What else can I tell you?

Thanks again,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I’ve created a document to explain how to use 2 x BR1’s at the same time.

You can find the guide > Here <

Hope this helps,

Steve

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

I just had a look at your document. Very interesting. A bit different than what I was thinking. My MAX BR1s are feeding a campus with 10 access points. If I’m understanding your setup, wouldn’t I need 20 APs? I was hoping to have one output of both Peps that I could shove into my switch and feed everybody.

Thanks,
Steve

Yes you can do this, have a primary BR1 load balancing between LTE and Wired WAN with a secondary BR1 on its WAN - do it all the time and works very well.

2 Likes

Hi Martin,

How would I avoid a double nat for the traffic that goes out of my network through the first device then goes “out” again through the 2nd device? Sorry, I’m not a network guy.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Unless you discover a good reason to I wouldn’t bother. I like there being NAT on the secondary box - gives me more options later. But you coudl always turn on IP Passthrough on the 2nd box if NAT was an issue.

1 Like