GPS Time failure

Anyone else using GPS as a time source and seeing log entries like this…

I just wanted to check because this is a fixed install with a stable GPS lock. It’s moved 300ft at times today, but I can’t imagine that affects it as a time source…

1 Like

FWIW, I use ntp.org as a time server for my SOHO MK3 and I get the same sequence of messages in the system event log. As the time always appears to be correct to within a few seconds, I just ignore the messages.

1 Like

@C_Metz

I’m checking on this. Do you think you can share us a photo how the GPS antenna being installed ?

It’s the GPS that comes with the MAX Transit. It is installed on a flat platform facing up with a plywood and shingle roof above it. I can move it outside, but since it seemed to be working where it was, I didn’t want to deal with extra lightning protection/risk. Is the thinking that it’s loosing sync enough to cause time errors? The software currently doesn’t have a way for me to tell how many satellites it’s seeing or how strong the signal lock is… so if this error is caused by me, maybe a feature request is in order to let the user see something like 8 of 12 satellites locked, so I can have an indicator that I have a bad GPS signal level?

@C_Metz

Do allow me to check the GPX file download from your device and verify whether it’s necessary to relocated the antenna. I will update you shortly.

When I map the elevation… I see it jumping at the time of the failure, so I’m assuming I have an antenna location issue… vertical line on right

@C_Metz

Checked the GPX file from your device. Don’t think it’s necessary that you need to relocate the GPS antenna. The lost is very minimum.

For the time sync failed, i will work with you using ticket as it’s a 1 time triggered that we need to further monitor for the failed event.

For the GPS location, it’s a valid GPS record collected and the GPS feet plotted. I have downloaded using other tools and it matched to the IC2 GPS feet.

I will analyze this and get back to you.

1 Like

Possible that you can isolate this by relocate and check the results.

1 Like

Will do. Thank you for the quick answer.