Firmware 8.0 shuts down 2.5ghz AP

After updating my firmware from 7.1.2 to 8.0.0, I noticed that my second AP disappeared. The primary 5ghz AP was still active, but the secondary 2.5 wasn’t transmitting. It was still listed under the AP tab under Wireless SSID, but it wasn’t transmitting. I downgraded the firmware back to 7.1.2, and it came back.

Has anyone else had this problem? I changed no settings when I updated to 8.0.0. I suspect this might be a bug.

We don’t encounter this problem. Please share the model of the device and it’s hardware revision number.

1 Like

Yes, I reported a similar symptom about a month ago. I have 2 Android smartphones which use a single WIFI connection. Everything is blocked using only the two MAC addresses of the 2 phones. After upgrading to v8, only 1 of the two phones would connect. The other one was not shown as a client. Returning to version 7.1.2 allowed both phones to connect as before.
-Sparky5

@Sparky5, may I know which model you are using now? Do you have a 3rd Wifi client to do the test? If so, may I know the 3rd Wifi client will be shown in Client List when the Peplink/Pepwave device is running 8.0.0?

1 Like

Surf SOHO latest hardware version 3. I will post results when I add more clients.
Thank you,
Sparky5

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing WIFI trouble with firmware version 8? I have limited ability to test various combinations of WIFI clients, but this is what happens:
2 smart phones connect to WIFI in home use, using version 7.1.2. Access to WIFI is restricted using the MAC ID of the 2 phones. Both phones connect automatically as soon as WIFI is turned on. No problems.

After installing firmware v8, only one smartphone connects. The “System/Status/Client List” page shows only one phone. The other (non-working) phone’s WIFI does not even list the name of the router’s network ID. Attempting to manually add the router’s WIFI network ID to the phone results in an error message saying that the ID does not exist.

If the previously working phone is turned off (power off), then the previously non-working phone connects normally to the router’s WIFI. Nothing has been done to router settings, only updating the firmware.

Thank you,
Sparky5

@Sparky5, I found your ticket and loaded your config into my SOHO MK3. I don’t see the reported issue based on my testing. Both of my whitelisted Android phones (Samsung Galaxy S9, Android version 9 and Redmi Note 2, Android version 5) able to connect to the hidden SSID - PWS_AD (do let me know if I tested the wrong SSID). I tested with 8.0.0 build 1429.

Have you tested with a 3rd Wifi client as suggested here?

1 Like

Thanks for checking for this symptom on your end. My 2 phones are Samsung Galaxy 6 and Galaxy 7. When 2 phones are in range, one of them drops the WIFI using firmware 8. Both phones work using firmware 7 The non-working phone says “this UID is not present” if I type in “Add Network” on the WIFI screen. I don’t have a 3rd phone for checkout.

I have 2 SOHO routers that behave the same way (same configuration also). I can send you one of them if you would like to check it out.
Regards,
Sparky5

@Sparky5, since I tested it is working fine in my lab and both of your MK3 are having the same issue, this rarely relate to the hardware. I suspect the problem is related to the Wifi client or the environment there. Anyway, may I know what is the Android version of your Samsung phones?

Suggestion:

• Please isolate the problem whether it is related to 2.4GHz or 5GHz. You may limit all your SSIDs to 2.4GHz only to confirm whether the problem persists. Then continue test with 5GHz.
1 Like

I have done about as much troubleshooting as I can on this end. There is a problem connecting with my 2 phones at the same time when both are whitelisted in the window “Deny all except listed”. When nothing is denied, both phones work. This symptom is present for 2 and 5 Gig WiFi bands. The only clue I can give you is that this symptom was not present using the previous v7 firmware. No configuration changes were made. I can boot the router now, using the v7 firmware without problems. Booting with v8 shows the symptom. 2 Android Galaxy smartphones. Maybe someone else can provide additional clues.

Thanks!
Sparky5