Firmware 6.1.2 Open Beta Release

It seems that, across the board for devices with 6.1.2b01, I cannot get SpeedFusion hostnames to resolve. Essentially the SpeedFusion functionality works just fine as long as the Peplink device running 6.1.2b01 is being connected to from another device by IP address or DNS name but cannot connect to another device via SpeedFusion by DNS name. In the SpeedFusion profile, typing in a DNS name rather than IP address will never resolve and shows up in the Event Log as such. This is true of the Balance 380, MAX OTG with SpeedFusion, and MAX HD2 LTE. It was not a problem with the Balance One I believe but would have to double check that. I can open multiple tickets if that is the best route.

Hi,

You are welcome to open ticket here. Please enable Remote Assistant when you open the ticket.

Thank you.

Done. Ticket #743068.

What’s the typical time for firmware to remain in beta (open in this case)?

For this firmware 6.1.2 beta, it will expire on Aug 26, 2014. Typically beta firmware that we release lasts for 3 months or so.

Is there a waiting period before it becomes official release? I’m unclear on this process.

Actually the official release date varies depending on customers’ feedback on the beta firmware. We have been gathering information and our engineering team has been working hard to apply some fixes to the beta firmware. We will definitely notify our customers with the official firmware release via our News Letter and our website as well.

Hello all. Installed the beta firmware on surf soho. I had asked tech support about the ability to have the Peplink automatically restart (power cycle) when the health check fails on my USB WAN connection - it is the only connection on the device. Basically the 4G modem seems to lock up randomly, but a power cycle fixes the issue - just would like it to be automated. Peplink tech suggested it would be in 6.1.2, called Watchdog, however, I cant find the settings anywhere. Anyone familiar with this option or the issue? Thanks.

It is automatic and no CLI is needed.

More information found here:

Thats great. This will be a nice feature for us who have to randomly reset the modem to get connectivity back.

Any possibility scheduled reboot could be added to the firmware?

We have no plan to add this feature. May I know if you are encountering some issue on the unit, so that you would like to have this feature?

Sometimes over time, a USB cellular modem seems to not work as well and sometimes even downgrade to 2G. I don’t think this is a Peplink issue since it’s observed on other platforms and a reboot of the device which also resets the modem seems to get things working well again.

Hello guys,

I am very interested in this watchbog issue on the USB modems, but the schedulle reboot is also of my interest.

We do have some Surf Soho installed in remote sites, and the solution that we have for the moment is a clock main power, that turn OFF/ON Surf Soho every 6 hours. This way, we are sure we don’t need to drive hundreads of km just for unplug it and plug it again.

But I am not a big fun of this solution, as I prefered that the reset was performed the correct way, following the correct procedures, and not by using this “drastic” solution.

Best Regards
Nuno

Good news, everyone. We are moving onto the release candidate! The links have all been updated on the download page; simply head up there and download your copy.

We’ve opened a new thread to discuss the release candidate. Be sure to head there to leave some feedback.

Enjoy!

Hello All,

Firmware 6.1.2 has now been publicly launched, get your copy now on our download page!

Thank you all for your feedback.