I just updated a corporate nightmare where our remote site was connected to our main plant via VPN over a pair of Cisco 871 routers. At the main plant was a T1. At the remote site, there was a cable connection. The entire system worked like a giant stop sign… Work couldn’t get done, and engineering drawings needed at the remote site, and stored on the main site domain server took ages to load.
i decided to replace the Cisco 871’s with a pair of Peplink Balance 210’s. I already had a super fast cable modem available at the main plant (for wifi and video monitoring), and I hoped that would fix the data bottleneck caused by the solo T1 line currently in use for the VPN connection.
it all worked out beyond my greatest expectations. The support team at Frontier (my Peplink retailer) is beyond fantastic. A few exchanges of information, and a few hours of config and testing time later, and I have a lightning fast network at both locations… Even better, I’m very comfortable with the 210 router config routine… Next step is to add a FIOS link at each end, and dump the $500+/Mo T1 line. I have already tested the failover capability, and the ability of the Peplink router to route VPN data over any available path on the fly.
So far, I’m sleeping better at night lately than I have in Months…