Dual HD1 Domes + WiFi as WAN

Unfortunately this only has 2x WAN ports. Unless you can use a single WAN port to the SIM injector and VLAN tags for 2x HD1/HD2 domes, it won’t work. It also has LTE radios which I don’t need if I have HD1/HD2 domes on the roof, so I’m paying for those (probably quite a bit).

Maybe if it had a license option for a 3rd WAN port it would be slightly better. Not sure what the pricing is, but if it is too high up there, that could be a barrier too…

I considered it, and have one in a box somewhere, but the MAX HD2 also has LTE radios I don’t need, which increases the price quite a bit. A MAX HD2 without LTE would be perfect.

So something like a Max 700 then? You would be trading off overall speed, for not wanting cellular modules.

The 700 looks pretty good, but it is pretty old. I can’t even find it in the normal navigation on Peplink’s site without searching for it manually, and I see reviews as far back as 2011… It also has about the same performance as a MAX Transit for SpeedFusion. Would love to get past that 100Mbps limit…

So Peplink, any thoughts adding a dome that has dual band/radio WiFi as WAN 2.4 & 5ghz? How would the antennas work if the dome is mounted high up on a mast and connecting to an AP for WiFi as WAN that is low, i.e. on a dock? For cellular, I don’t see it being much of an issue because cell towers are high. I usually mount high up on masts.

And to add, dual-band WiFi as WAN where it can connect to two separate WiFi networks simultaneously - one 2.4ghz and one 5ghz.

It sounds like someone should invent a MIMO over ethernet (POE) adapter that breaks out and recombines (both directions) antenna data for the router LTE radio at the router to process - some kind of balun. It would basically be just the part of an LTE radio that handles input/output of antenna signals, and not everything else the radio does. $50 dollars for the kit, at most. Works with any Cat level. Don’t troll me… I’m just brainstorming.

Or this with the Max Transit on one WAN and injectors to power the Dome/s daisy-chained or on the other two WANs, with either the sim injector or other POE injectors (or a DC-powered POE switch that you connect your Domes to on a separate VLANs - no standalone injectors-it also handles your APs with the LAN ports on separate VLANs). This is how I use a POE switch to connect and power my Mikrotik Metal 52 and my Ubiquiti APs.

The best solution is the MBX without LTE radios at a commensurate price - a very purposeful device. It would do everything that you want AND add USB tethering support.

I had a cradlepoint that was just LTE to POE. I actually had it deployed on the boat first using Peplink router and then switched to all peplink and got rid of the cradlepoint. I liked Peplink’s interface, routing options, etc. But something like you are mentioning would be cool too if a dome cant do it all.

I’d really love to see a dual cellular dome with wifi wan that can do both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi simultaneously that fits on a marine 1x14 mount and is POE (POE that can easily accept 12v DC or use a simple converter). I could probably sell 50 of those devices in my marina alone, if it existed. Peplink, what do you think?

@mystery, we are exploring to support WIFI WAN for HD Dome. Hopefully, we can give you good news in 2021!

2 Likes

Awesome. Might you be able to share if it might be dual cellular and dual band simultaneous WiFi as WAN (so 2.4 and 5 ghz can work simultaneously)?

Another comment: I recommend careful consideration of the internal antenna placement. Many units are “stood off” a mast using a mount such as: https://www.hodgesmarine.com/glmv9173-glomex-mast-mount-bracket-1--14-thread.htmls so there may be slight obstruction from the mast. Just please keep that in mind. where as other times its mounted on a roof top but there still might be other slight obstructions such as other antennas and radars.

Finally, can you confirm the domes would work with the above mount in terms of dimension and weight?

Any good news about WIFI WAN in an HD dome this year ? I agree with @mystery : many saillors would love such all in one product !

Update: We do have some samples for internal testing now. The dimension is bigger than the existing HD Dome. Please stay tuned with us! :blush:

3 Likes

Would love to hear more details on this and the many other products we’ve asked about for the marine world. Even high level details or thoughts around how it’s being implemented so we can provide some feedback…

1 Like

Fingers crossed for a dual cellular and dual band simultaneous wifi as wan device.

1 Like

Any update?

bump

that would be cool, that way there is one “brain”/router tucked away somewhere safe, and a antenna/dome handling cellular and wifi wan that can be powered via poe and data travels over ethernet so no loss from antenna wire.