Dropped / Frame Counters

Is there a way to determine which packets are being dropped and why? According to the support.cgi page, I have something wrong with the Receive side of my WAN port. I am finding a consistent amount of dropped data, and I see some “Frame” values greater than 0. Any help is appreciated.

Hello @jmjones,
This might sound like a strange suggestion (and maybe you’ve already attempted this), though change the Ethernet cable between your WAN port on the Peplink and where it is connecting to, let us know if that makes a difference.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

I have a feeling that the router is dropping inbound fragmented UDP packets. I am also suspicious of the cabling between devices. Unfortunately, this particular wire is going to the roof of my house and I don’t play well with ladders.

1 Like

Hello @jmjones,
Here is a little diagnostics trick we use with isolating issues suspected to be caused by cables or other equipment in the network path.

We often have with us a small Netgear ProSafe 5 port switch such as a GS105E Download Center | Downloads and Documentation | NETGEAR

When there is a need for PoE on one of the applicances (that is 802.3af compatable) we use a Netgear ProSafe 8 port PoE switch such as a GS108PE Download Center | Downloads and Documentation | NETGEAR

(Note: these switches do not trunk VLANs very well without a bit of complex 802.1q programming)

I have been surprised at how many locations we have just left these as they appear to passively fix customers equipment issues and what was going to be a “lets check the system components and do a stop gap” is then left as a longer term “its now working, lets leave it” while a better solution is found.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

Thank you Marcus for the information. I am thinking about putting a switch in front of my router on the LAN side, but I hadn’t thought to put one on the WAN side.

I have seen (and can reproduce) an issue where if I plug my Xbox directly into the LAN ports, it will pull an IP on the first startup of the Xbox. However, if I shut down the Xbox and turn it back on - it won’t get an address until I unplug it and plug it back in. Running the Xbox connection through a switch fixes it completely. No clue what that means or why the switch fixes it.