Does Peplink Balance 50 + 2 x 13Mbps Internet Connections = 1 x 26Mbps?

After re-reading your post, I thought I’d just test my 4G connection as a matter of interest. It looks as if, along with the other 5 Mbps I can get from my WiNET connections, upstream bandwidth will now be a non issue for video conferencing. I believe I can set it up so that the 4G connection is used purely as a backup, or when I want to use Skype / FaceTime or Fuze HD.

Could I get any more excited?! I really don’t think so.

Make sure you register each unit and activate the warranty because you’ll need the firmware up to date (now 6.2.2) for IC2 to work. This is also the reason to buy new and not used or gray market off the net. The annual warranty cost (beyond your free first year) on a 580 is about $680 but it will cost almost $1k to get it back in warranty if you let it fall out. Definitely a cost/benefit decision, but the Peplink rate of development is impressive plus the excellent IC2 needs to be supported somehow. Even IC2 has been updated numerous times in the past year. V6.3 firmware will go public soon and I’ve been beta testing it for a while now. One very cool feature is time based rules so you could, for instance, shut down family members during certain times or block just certain things like Facebook on a schedule. Also, the web content filtering is being taken to a whole new user friendly level.

Just leave the main WAN’s as “Always on” then set the 4G to “Backup 1” or even disable it unless you need it. Do not set the 4G to “Always On” and hit “Disconnect” because it will auto re-enable itself. I’m not sure how often it does this, if it’s within a time period or at 0 hours, but I do know it happens!

So looks like you have straight HSDPA GSM 4G and not LTE. Might be worth taking to your local provider to see if they have an LTE roadmap, but that might be asking a bit much if you’re rural. Still, that upload speed will be better than all your 5 WAN’s so it looks like a good option

Hi Rexymav, and thanks for the continued feedback and suggestions!

I have just put reminders and calendar events in my diary so I don’t forget to to extend the warranties on the 310 and 580. I read that warranties can’t be passed on to someone else, so I want to make sure I I still own them at the end of the year, rather than pay any extra just now.

I confirm that I have bought both units from an authorised reseller, so have avoided that potential minefield.

Looking forward to trying out IC2 for myself. It really does sounds quite impressive.

Thanks again, Edward

Hi again! My local provider claims that their 4g is the same as LTE, but I really have no idea. What I do now know, having done some digging on their website this evening, is that Peplink currently doesn’t support any 4G modems in Thailand. However, they do say to contact them and ask for a driver for anything not listed, so, once I find a 4G modem that works here (something! anything!) will certainly do that. As you noted, it would double my upload speed if I can get it working, which would help with HD video conferencing no end.

Renewed thanks for all your help throughout the day. It really was very kind of you to give me your time. :slight_smile: