Do Peplink routers bond DSL lines or just load balance?

Hello,

I can’t seem to find a solid answer to this question. I know the idea of Peplink load balancing is to distribute multiple individual internet connections to one network for failover protection. But do these products also bond DSL lines for MLPPP purposes?

My DSL connection goes down maybe once or twice a year for 5 minutes. Not a big deal for me. I’m more interested in bonding DSL lines. For example… My current ISP offers 25/7 DSL service for $68 / month. I pay an additional $4 / month for single link MLPPP which is running through a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato MLPPP firmware.

Will these routers (say the Peplink Model 30) allow me to bond three DSL lines and give me 75/21 service? Or is it simply going to distribute 3 x 25/7 links across my network as it sees appropriate (so 3 individual users could achieve 25/7 speeds at the same time, but no one person could achieve 75/21)?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Update to original post:

My reason for wanting MLPPP was to circumvent throttling of P2P applications, but I just found out that as of March 1st, Bell is going to stop all throttling in Canada… awesome!

But my question still stands… If I have 2 individual 25/7 lines plugged into a Peplink router, will I have 1 50/14 link or 2 * 25/7 links distributed over my network?

Thanks,
-Alex

That is good news indeed.

Combining 2 DSL links would work great, especially when it comes to P2P applications. Since multiple simultaneous sessions are generated, traffic will be distributed across both WANs, and this can potentially add up to 50 Mbps for one user. When it comes to a single session transfer, only one link can be used.
Please feel free to review the following articles:

Combining the bandwidth of all links: http://www.peplink.com/index.php?view=faq&id=111&path=19
Outbound load balancing algorithms: http://www.peplink.com/technology/load-balancing-algorithms/

Our devices can also aggregate the bandwidth of your available links, and this is done through a site to site VPN setup.
http://www.peplink.com/index.php?view=faq&id=131&path=22

Hello,

Situation:710 centrally and 310 at remote site with 3 ADSL links.

If I have a single central user accessing a video server at the remote site, would vpn bonding split the traffic or will only one link be used ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

VPN bonding will split the traffic and send packets across all included WAN links.

Best regards,

Ron
The Peplink Team

Hello Ron,
Thanks for your reply, we are talking about a single video server viewed by a single user.

If we assume this is going to be just a single tcp (or udp) session how is the split going to be done ?

Thanks again and sorry for persisting.

Hello,

Although the Peplink is a session-based load balancing router, it becomes packet-based when traffic is sent across the site-to-site VPN. This means packets for a single TCP or UDP session will be sent out all WAN links and reassembled on the other side of the VPN, allowing you to achieve bonding.

Regards,

Ron
The Peplink Team

Thank you Ron.