Disconnect of USB network

I’ve just installed the SOHO Surf with a WAN connection (stable) and USB (Verizon Wireless). I keep getting “Disconnected (Health check failed)” on the USB port. It normally returns within a minute or two, bu happens a bunch of times per day. It just happened twice in 5 minutes.

Any advice appreciated.

I’ve just installed the SOHO Surf with a WAN connection (stable) and USB (Verizon Wireless). I keep getting “Disconnected (Health check failed)” on the USB port. It normally returns within a minute or two, bu happens a bunch of times per day. It just happened twice in 5 minutes.

Any advice appreciated.

What helth check do you have running? Suspect its DNS, if so change to something else (like ping and ping something other than the DNS servers eg www.google.com)

1 Like

Hi Larry,
What health check do you have running? Suspect its DNS, if so change to something else (like ping and ping something other than the DNS servers eg www.google.com)

(Admins: please merge this thread with Larrys duplicate here Disconnect of USB network)

1 Like

I’m not near the unit now, but it was just the default settings. I plugged USB in.

Thanks. I’ll try that when I’m back in the office. I was using the default set up. I’m not sure what that setting is by default. Sorry for the duplicate thread, I wasn’t sure which forum to post in.

I remoted in and changed it to ping www.google.com. The problem is less frequent but still happening. I guess the modem I’m using is not supported, so I’ve reached out to Verizon for another option.

Hi Larry,

default is “Smart-Check”.
with German T-Mobile SIMs we also have a problem while using this. You can change the check AND the settings like timeout and so on.

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

Try changing the MTU ( maximum transmission unit ). Start at 1500 and go down from there in increments of ten.
Our MTU is set at 1462, and uses the SmartCheck every ten seconds.

The Verizon LTE MTU is 1428.

https://usatcorp.com/faqs/main-mtumss-design-considerations/

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try that too.

Thank you!

Continues to bounce up and down like a yo-yo.

What does the event log say?

1 Like
Jul 16 14:50:53 WAN: Verizon Wireless standby (100.113.83.251)
Jul 16 14:50:37 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Priority 2 - Verizon Wireless / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:50:25 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:50:14 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:49:53 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:49:43 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:49:32 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:49:11 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:48:50 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:48:25 WAN: Verizon Wireless disconnected
Jul 16 14:48:23 WAN: Priority changed (Priority 1 - WAN / Disabled - Wi-Fi WAN, Wi-Fi WAN on 5 GHz)
Jul 16 14:15:24 WAN: Verizon Wireless standby (100.93.113.137)

I just tried the MTU 1428 and had a hard time connecting to the internet, and I have Verizon. Went back to the MTU 1462 and had no problem.
I also tried a different usb cable, it is 15 feet long and is new the WAN did just as Larry described. Then reconnected the 12 foot usb cable, that is older by the way, and all is well.
Did a speed test and pulled 14 MB’s on the down and 6 on the up.

1 Like

Very frustrating. I decided to give it a test even though it was going up and down. I disconnected the network cable and the modem worked fine. I put the internet cable back in and now the Verizon modem doesn’t show up.

Larry: Just curious … Is your VZW modem connected directly to the router or are you using an extension cable?

1 Like

directly connected.