Could a firmware update allow more than 3 SSIDs on the Surf SOHO?

I realise that I could upgrade to a Balance One but here in the UK, they’re costly.
What are the chances of the Surf SOHO receiving a firmware upgrade that will allow more than 3 SSIDs please?

I’d suggest using a Peplink AP like the AP One AC Mini. That will support up to 16 SSIDs and give you a lot more bang for the buck, especially if you are using IC2 to manage it.

1 Like

Hi Brill. I agree with Kevin’s answer, above. The SOHO is an extremely powerful and useful device but Peplink has a logical system where “pay more = get more.” I think if you and I were going to develop a product line, we’d do something similar. And, SSID-wise, the SOHO is probably positioned fine in the marketplace w/o a ton of SSIDs available.

OK, enough of the philosophy. :wink: One does not need a Balance One to do this, although it will certainly work as you wish. Actually, any of the Balance series can “control” the APs and the APs can handle up to 16 SSIDs. A B20 and an AC Mini would be the lowest-cost solution and one could expand the number of APs as needed (up to the maximum allowable, of course.) In fact, if is generally our preference to separate the AP(s) from the router so as to minimize heat gain in the router. This often improves AP performance as well as the location of the AP is not “tied” to the router.

1 Like

Totally get the “pay more = get more” thing! I’m just being cheap! :grin: Then again though, there are similarly priced routers like the Draytek 2860ac and Turris Omnia that offer more SSIDs and WAN throughput, but I really like the ease of use in the Peplink firmware.

The B20 has the same WAN throughput as the Surf SOHO so if I was going to upgrade I think the cheapest option is the balance one - I could be wrong though! I forget how many SSIDs you can have with the balance one. Maybe better to get the balance core and an AP one to go with it for future wireless flexibility.

Just wish they were cheaper here in England!

Howdy. I’m not familiar with the other products you mention. I’m wondering if any of them do incredibly useful things e.g., PepVPN. We’re not Peplink “groupies” here but we certainly have not found anything else we like as well.

I’m wondering if the price issue is due to the VAT? (Glad we don’t have that this side of the river … :wink:

1 Like

Apologies for bringing this one back from the brink of oblivion but…
Will the AP One AC Mini work fine with the Surf SOHO please? Or would I definitely need the Balance One Core?

Thanks!

Hi. The SOHO is a router with a built-in AP; it can’t “control” other APs. And, considering the SOHO’s intended market and its price point, I’d say that’s logical, FWIW.

The Balance One Core will certainly do it, as will the lower-priced B20 if the latter meets your requirements and you want to save a few bucks.

1 Like

Hello @brill,
Your original question has been answered here in this post.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile: